Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Suck At Starting A New Job

yesterday, i began the post-working-in-town era. too bad i suck at starting a new job.

after working in boston for the past 5+ years for the same company, i decided to try my hand at a company located way up in the northern booneylands of marblehead. as it turns out, there is no commuter rail or mbta subway station in marblehead (at least, according to the mbta website). the closest public transportation station is in salem, which is a nearby city. so even if i wanted to take public transportation, i probably would have to take buses and whatnot from salem. thus, the commute would be very painstaking... and definitely not fun like my old subway train rides home with my friends (hot amy, aimee, jen, and carlos).

anyway, my first day at the new job went pretty well. it's weird being the "new guy". when i first arrived at the reception area, i was pleasantly surprised to receive a goody bag. inside the goody bag was my name plate, pads of paper, a tape dispenser, tape, scissors, pens, pencils, highlighters, a company mug, a solar calculator, and a box of tissues. it was definitely a nice welcome, although i'm not sure what i'll do with some of the items.

from there, i met my new team. i had a quick tour of the facilities (after all, i have to know where the bathrooms are) and i got to meet every tom, dick, and harry in the company. i'll be lucky if i can remember even one of their names. truth be told, i'd be lucky if i can remember where the bathrooms are too. from there, i got to set up my desk, my computer, and stuff in my little cubicle.

(pictured below is my desk in my cubicle. i will definitely need to decorate it some more.)


i'm not actually a big fan of my desk. the desk squeaks. i suppose that is part of being the "new guy" though... getting the old squeaky stuff.

once my cubicle was set, i got to go out for lunch with my new team. we went to bertucci's. interesting fact i learned yesterday: marblehead does not allow chains. apparently, it was a struggle for starbucks to open a place in marblehead. thus, bertucci's is located in a nearby city, not marblehead. (i would tell you the city that bertucci's is located in, but i don't know anything around the marblehead area.) i found that tidbit of information very strange.

after lunch, i had another orientation training with human resources about how to use the phones. i won't be able to remember any of the training. the next thing i know, it's time to go. (well, it was time to go according to my new boss.) my boss let me leave early to avoid the traffic. plus, he knew i arrived early in the morning. in fact, he set up my working hours as 7:30am to 3:30pm-4:00pm. i must say... leaving before 5:30pm felt so odd. i'm not complaining though...

anyway, we'll see how day two goes. i've been itching to actually get my hands dirty and do some work. hopefully soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what time do you have to leave to get there at 7:30?

Anonymous said...

I think the goodie bag is a nice touch. I am glad you are keeping up with the blogs.