Friday, June 20, 2008

I Suck At Fort Sewall

today was day five of my new job.

during lunch, i decided that it was time. it's been five days now... i'm a big boy now. i can do it. so, today during lunch i psyched myself up and decided to go out for lunch by myself. (previously, i have only been out to lunch with my coworkers or not at all.)

i ended up walking down to marblehead harbor to see what was around my place of employment. after all, i know nothing about the town of marblehead other than the fact that commuting there from my home takes quite a long time.

i generally try to acquaint myself with my surroundings. usually during vacations or whatnot, i take walks around where i stay (like hawaii or washington dc, etc.) to familiarize myself with the area. work is no different. when i worked in town, it was great. there were so many things to see and do in town.

so, today i decided to walk around marblehead during my lunch break. unfortunately, i did not get too far. i ended up walking down to the harbor and then stumbled upon an area known as fort sewall. now i suck at fort sewall. i've never been to fort sewall. the place, however, is quite scenic and beautiful.

(pictured below is the view from fort sewall.)


what drew me to fort sewall was the fact that the other day, my "buddy" (suzy) had mentioned there was a fort in marblehead when she gave me a quick driving tour around town. intrigued, i decided to check it out during my walk.

when i first arrived at fort sewall, i could immediately sense the beauty of the area. truth be told, my first thought when i arrived at fort sewall was that it would be cool to have a picnic there... as the views overlooked the harbor... with any of my friends. the problem of course, was convincing a friend to travel all the way to marblehead to meet me for a picnic. i actually had a similar thought when i first walked around boston as well... when i walked around the charles river when i had worked in town. (in case anyone was curious, i never did have that picnic by the charles river with any of my friends.)

needless to say, i was captivated by fort sewall's views of the harbor. of course, it's probably not hard for me to get captivated. i actually enjoy the view from my friend (hot amy)'s house. hot amy's house overlooks water as well. maybe i'm simply drawn to bodies of water... or possibly things that are beautiful in nature.

interestingly enough, i just learned that there was a download of a walking tour around the town of marblehead. (and fort sewall is mentioned on that walking tour... so hopefully i can actually learn more about the fort, other than the fact that it has beautiful scenic views.) the download of the walking tour would be for your ipod and guide you throughout town while you listened to the presentation during your walk. it is quite an interesting concept. i am glad the town's chamber of commerce came up with that idea because now i can actually walk around town at my own pace, listening to the tour.

i am quite ecstatic now to have something to do during my lunch break (other than eat). i figured i would break up the tour into sections and visit certain places during my lunch throughout the week. i guess we'll see how next week goes.

all in all, i had a great time at fort sewall. truth be told, i'm still hoping some of my friends will come and visit... so we'll see... i may have to bribe them.