Friday, October 9, 2009

I Suck At Walden Pond

With my brother visiting from Texas... where the stars at night are big and bright... I took yesterday off from work. My parents, after all, wanted to do some family things together.

So naturally, what does my family do to spend time together? Apparently, my family goes shopping. Well, technically, there was a little more than just shopping. My parents wanted to go to dim sum first... and then shopping. And really, shopping was not in the plans for my parents. My brother really wanted to go shopping because he wanted to buy a new camera.

For anyone curious, we had dim sum at the Chau Chow City Restaurant on Morrissey Boulevard, which used to be Linda Mae's. I had never been to that particular Chau Chow City. I have been to the one in Chinatown and actually liked it. So, I was expecting the same at this non-Chinatown location. Truth be told, I liked the one in Chinatown better... not that this location was awful. It just was not the same as the one in Chinatown.

From there, we headed off for our shopping excursion. That shopping excursion consisted of a trip to our friendly sales tax free neighbor to the north: New Hampshire. It turns out that even though Massachusetts now has a 6.25% sales tax, the Massachusetts sales tax is less than Texas's 8%. Interestingly enough, Texas does not require the filing of state income taxes either. Oh, and apparently the public transportation in Texas is more of a joke than the MBTA. Who would have thought?

Anyway, my brother purchased the camera that he wanted. My big purchase was a pack of rechargeable batteries and some lawn fertilizer... exciting I know. After shopping, we decided to go for a little car ride. The destination: Walden Pond.

Now, I suck at Walden Pond. I have not been to Walden Pond in quite some time. I am guessing that the last time I went to Walden Pond was back in school, when the class took a field trip to learn about the writer, Henry David Thoreau.

My brother wanted to take a walk around the pond to take pictures of the fall foliage. And so... we did. I must say, Walden Pond was quite interesting. It's too bad I didn't remember anything about Walden Pond from before.

(Pictured below is a photo shoot at Walden Pond.)


When we arrived, there was a photo shoot going on at Walden Pond. Naturally, I intently watched as the model posed in the water... flipping her legs up. Now, that is talent.

Eventually, my family and I walked the trail around the pond. It was fun family bonding time. My brother got to take scenic pictures of the pond... a few chipmunks... leaves... etc; My mom and dad also had a good time. In fact, my father told me while we were walking the trail that he was so happy because it was the first time in quite a while where the family was all together. It made him feel good. Consequently, I felt happy to know that my father was in good spirits.

Anyway, I had fun at Walden Pond. I'm glad my brother wanted to go.

No comments: