Thursday, October 1, 2009

I Suck At The 30 Day Shred

With it being the start of a new month today, I figured I would try something new. That new thing: the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. Now, I suck at the 30 Day Shred.

(The video below is a preview of the 30 Day Shred.)


I first heard of the 30 day shred from my BFF (Kerry) who had decided to try it herself some time ago. Needless to say, Kerry gave the workout glowing reviews. At first, I thought nothing of it. I figured it was just another cheesy workout video... only this time it was attached to Jillian Michaels, the tough love trainer from NBC's "The Biggest Loser" series.

Shortly thereafter, my friend (Kelley) also started doing the 30 day shred. Likewise, Kelley has been quite impressed with the workout.

Always the skeptic, I was curious as to what the hype about this particular workout was all about. Luckily, I got a preview of the video last Saturday after apple picking while we were hanging out. Truth be told, I was not too impressed that night with the workout. (What can I say? I'm hard to impress.)

Naturally, I began thinking (which is always bad). Although I was not impressed with watching the video, I can't really form an opinion about the workout itself without actually trying it. It's the proverbial judging a book by its cover. It didn't make sense to form an opinion, when there is no basis to form the opinion on.

Of course, this line of thinking also led me to read such awful books like "The Secret", "Twilight", and "New Moon". When they say a bunch of people can't be wrong... well... they can be wrong. In my opinion, those books were terrible.

Needless to say, I decided to give the 30 day shred a try.

The good thing about the 30 day shred is that the workout has things for the average person working out... and the more advanced person working out. It being day 1 of the workout, I decided to go with the advanced person. After all, if I'm going to work my body, I want to do it optimally.

Anyway, the workout was not that bad. Truth be told, I am still not impressed after Day 1. With all the hype from Kerry and Kelley, I was expecting sweat to pour down my face... muscles burning... etc. After all, I have not done a workout in quite some time. Sadly, I didn't feel a thing and this is after following the advanced person.

Don't get me wrong, I could feel the start of some muscle burn during the workout... but not enough to make my body ache. I am hoping that come tomorrow morning I will be sore... or feel something. Lord knows, I could use a shredded body.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

of course it was easy for you... grr... Jillian kicks my ass every morning AND I'm still only using 5 pound weights!

cavalier said...

i'll give level 2 a try to see if it is any better.