Thursday, October 29, 2009

I Suck At Celebrating Karen's Birthday

Today is Karen's birthday. Happy birthday Karen!

Karen has never been big on celebrating her birthday. To her, her birthday has always been just another average day. I, of course, see things differently. Today marks the anniversary of when Karen came into this world... which so happens to be great for me... because no one else in their right mind would want to marry someone like me. Don't get me wrong... I may be a stud... I may exude awesomeness... but I am more than just a pretty face.

Needless to say, I am happy that today is Karen's birthday even if she does not see today as a day to celebrate. Truth be told, since my son (Braden) passed away last year in September, I do feel that it is important to celebrate birthdays. After all, Braden never got to and will never be able to celebrate his own birthday with his family.

Unfortunately, Karen and I did not do any celebrating today on her actual birthday. Karen actually had a meeting to attend to for her volunteer work with the Friends of the Norwell Public Library. While she was attending her meeting, I was actually doing this thing called "reading".

I actually finished the book while Karen was gone. The book that I was reading was "The Education of a Coach" by David Halberstam. My coworker had lent me the book a few weeks ago. Basically, the book details the journey of Bill Belichick as he undoubtedly becomes one of the greatest head coaches of football. Sure, I may be a little biased since Bill Belichick happens to coach the New England Patriots.

All in all, the book was actually pretty interesting. And of course, the book was infinitely better than the dribble known as "Twilight"... or "The Secret". Although I suppose if given the choice, I would have to say that "The Secret" was the worst... sparkle vampire or no sparkle vampire.

Needless to say, "The Education of a Coach" was a good read. I would recommend the book to anyone. And you don't really have to be a football fan to understand the book. I think the part that I found interesting was the fact that Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick were not exactly good friends. "Friends" may not even be the correct term.

Growing up, I always thought they were friends because they seemed to coach together a lot. They coached the Giants together. They coached the Patriots together. They coached the Jets together. I just assumed they were friends. It turns out that they simply coached together out of necessity because Parcells had the charisma and knew how to push buttons while Belichick knew the football strategy.

Luckily for the New England Patriots, Bob Kraft, the owner, realized the value that Belichick could bring to the organization and made him the head coach. For anyone curious, Bob Kraft made his money in the paper business. And interestingly enough, the business came from his wife's side. Like I said, the book was interesting.

All in all, I think Karen enjoyed her birthday even though she did not do anything spectacular. She enjoyed the flowers I gave her, I know that.

And since I had mentioned football earlier, I got Karen a New England Patriots jersey for her birthday. Karen used to mention how she never had anything to wear come Sundays during football season. So, I ended up getting her jersey... and not just any jersey... a Matt Cassel #16 New England Patriots jersey. Who knew they still made them?

For anyone curious, Karen loves Matt Cassel. It must be his dreamy eyes... his dashing good looks... who knows? She was sad when the Patriots traded Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs. Nonetheless, I figured she would enjoy the jersey.

Happy birthday Karen!

No comments: