Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Suck At Bertucci's

Yesterday, Karen and I met my parents, my brother, my cousin (Betty) and her son (Marvin) for dinner. The restaurant: Bertucci's. Now, I suck at Bertucci's... although I must admit... I love their rolls.

Anyway, my family hardly goes out to eat. I think the main reason is because my parents would rather cook in the confines of their home. Plus, the unfamiliarity of non-Chinese food always places them out of their comfort zone. So, they usually bombard me with questions about whether a certain item on the menu tastes good and whatnot. And luckily for them, I have a hearty appetite so it's a good bet that I have tasted many of the entrees served at restaurants.

The special occasion yesterday for dinner was for my brother. My brother has been up from Texas... where the stars at night are big and bright... visiting for the week. As my brother was leaving today, the dinner would be sort of a farewell dinner for him from the family. So since the dinner was for my brother, my brother got to choose the restaurant of his choice, which ended up being Bertucci's. (Apparently, my brother chose Bertucci's because Texas does not have good pizza places.)

Needless to say, Bertucci's was delicious. I do thoroughly enjoy the pizza (and the rolls) at Bertucci's. Surprisingly, it was rather busy at Bertucci's... probably because it was Columbus Day and a good majority of people had the day off. Sadly, I was not one of the majority.

Anyway, it was a good dinner. After dinner, Betty cracked me up. Betty sometimes reminds me of the stereotypical Asian woman that they show on those Japanese game shows (and sometimes video games). I don't mean that in a bad way. And I'm not saying that she is a terrible driver or anything like that. What I mean is that she can be quite perky... like those Japanese women who jump around, smile, and clap with excited vigor.

That can be Betty. She's great that way. The cause for Betty's excitement... and her clapping and cheering... was that my brother said he would visit again next year. Mind you, since moving to Texas in 2003, my brother has not been back to Massachusetts. So for him to return next year would be quite a surprise. Needless to say, the possibility of my brother returning had Betty giddy with excitement.

Interestingly enough, my brother also gave me farewell hug after dinner. For anyone who knows me, they know that I am not one for hugs. Heck, I am not a big fan of the kiss on the cheek greeting either. I do not recall the last time my brother ever gave me a hug. In fact, I can't even remember the last time he did something to show that he cared about me.

So last night, it felt somewhat odd to receive a hug from my brother. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice gesture. Of course, if I were to receive a hug from one of my friends... it would also probably feel odd even though that too is a nice gesture.

Anyway, my parents were rather happy last night. I think they were just happy that the family was together one last time.

No comments: