Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Suck At Pride And Prejudice And Zombies

Some time ago, my friend (Kelley) lent me a book to read. That book: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Unfortunately, I suck at Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I have had the book for quite some time. I generally read the book when I am waiting for Karen at the MBTA station. Because of that, I have read very little portions of the book at a time. Luckily, the chapters are very short. So usually I am able to complete a couple of chapters before Karen arrives.

According to my friend, Wikipedia:

"The story follows the plot of Pride and Prejudice, but places the novel in an alternative universe version of Regency-era England where zombies roam the countryside. Described as the "stricken," "sorry stricken," "undead," "unmentionables," or just "zombies" (though the word "zombie" did not enter the English language until 1871), the deceased ancestors of England are generally viewed by the characters as a troublesome, albeit deadly, nuisance. Their presence alters the original plot of the story in both subtle and significant ways: Messages between houses are sometimes lost when the couriers are captured and eaten; characters openly discuss and judge the zombie-fighting abilities of others; women weigh the pros and cons of carrying a musket (it provides safety, but is considered "unladylike")."

The book was pretty good. I enjoyed it much more than my other recent readings (like the first two books of that god-awful series, Twilight). My only dislike about the novel is that I wish it had more zombies and less Pride and Prejudice. (There can never be too many zombies in a book.)

Nonetheless, the novel was a good read. I would recommend it to anyone.

No comments: