Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I Suck At Ultrasounds

Today has been a pretty good day.

This afternoon, I attended Karen's appointment with South Shore Hospital. On the agenda for the appointment: an ultrasound. Now I suck at ultrasounds. I always find ultrasounds so fascinating. I sometimes wonder what the ultrasound machines must have looked like in the past, because now they are the slimmest machines. The miracles of modern science...

For anyone curious, Karen is officially pregnant. This week marks the nearing of the completion of the first trimester. And generally with the end of first trimester, people start telling people. So to follow suit... Karen is pregnant!

To say that I am ecstatic is an understatement (assuming it is mine). I'm just kidding. Of course it's mine. And really, what is there not to be excited about? Today, I got to see the baby via ultrasound. The amazing thing with ultrasound is that you can see the heart beating... the skeletal structure... everything. It's truly amazing.

Truth be told, I did get a little emotional when I saw the ultrasound. After everything that happened with our first son (Braden), who passed away a week after being born prematurely, I was overcome with that feeling of joy to be lucky enough to conceive again. And like I said, seeing the heart beating and all of that was just amazing.

By no means has my grieving ended for Braden. Seeing the ultrasound was just one of those bright spots in my life where things are not all gloom and doom in my world. If my friend (Aimee) were here next to me, I would tell her that "The Cure is God". For anyone curious, Aimee was a big fan of the musical group known as The Cure when we were growing up. At the time, I had poked fun of their music by saying it was depressing music. With Aimee being the hardcore fan of The Cure, it eventually led to the phrase "The Cure is God". (The phrase has nothing to do with devout religious fanatics.)

Anyway, I guess one of the ways to look at Braden's passing is that... well, he gave his mommy and daddy the greatest gift he could... his life... so that he could tell us that mommy needed some help with bearing children. Sure, it's not the greatest way to look at things, but in a world where people need answers... the heroic outlook may have to suffice.

Naturally, I am now a stress ball with this pregnancy. I just want things to work out this time around. My stress will probably not be good for the baby. Heck, my stress and worrying probably won't even be good for Karen as I try to take on too many things in an effort to decrease her normal workload around the house.

Stress aside, I did enjoy seeing the ultrasound. It was a good feeling to see the baby and to know that Braden would theoretically having a sibling. (I probably won't speak in definites in regards to the baby until the nine months are over.) And what better way to follow a good time than an opportunity to hang out with my BFF (Kerry)?

Kerry asked if she could stay over since she has an early training class tomorrow morning in nearby Bridgewater. As usual, it's always great to see Kerry. And of course, with Kerry spending the night, the three of us started season three of Veronica Mars. Veronica Mars is such a good show! I will be disappointed when we finish the final season of the show. As it is now, I have forgotten some of the things that happened the previous seasons.

Veronica Mars was definitely a great way to end the night. Today was a good day...