Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Suck At The 100 Mile Challenge

Tonight, Karen and I watched a show that we had recorded on our DVR. Being regular viewers of the Planet Green channel, a particular show had caught our eye one day. So, we decided to give the show a try. That show: the 100 Mile Challenge.

(The video below is a trailer for the show.)


Now I suck at the 100 Mile Challenge. According to my friend, Wikipedia:

"The 100 Mile Challenge is a Canadian reality television series produced by Paperny Films and aired on Food Network Canada. The series follows the lives and eating habits of six families living in Mission, British Columbia who, for a period of 100 days, agreed to only consume food and drink that has been grown, raised and produced within a 100-mile (160 kilometer) radius from Mission. The series is based on the concept of local food consumption as described in the book The 100-Mile Diet authored by J.B. MacKinnon and Alisa Smith where the two authors describe their experience of eating locally for one full year."

Needless to say, the concept of the challenge was intriguing to me. And for those who know me, they know that I do enjoy challenges. Sadly, my friend (Hot Amy) and I have not had a challenge in quite a while. I am guessing that she is deathly afraid of challenging me due to her propensity for losing. And might I add... nothing quite boosts an ego like beating Hot Amy.

Anyway, the first episode of the show was good. One of the families partaking in the challenge already dropped out... after the first day. I give the other families credit though for sticking with the challenge. I am not sure that I could consume foods within 100 miles of where I live. I enjoy food too much. After all, I didn't get my svelte body eating bread and water. Just kidding.

By the way, if you are wondering what the show has to do with Planet Green, it's the food miles. Food miles are the miles it takes to get food from one location to another. The larger the miles, the more the planet is exposed to pollution from the transportation emissions and all of that. (Hence, an electric car would be pretty handy... zero emissions!)

Regardless, I enjoyed the first episode. I can't wait to see what happens next.