Monday, August 10, 2009

I Suck At Organizing The Garage

I am getting old. Of course, as much as I say I am getting old... I will have the pleasure of always knowing that I will forever be younger than my friend (Hot Amy). Speaking of Hot Amy, I actually got to see her on Sunday.

I had not seen Hot Amy since her third of July cookout. So it's been some time. Anyway, it so happens that my friend (Jen), Hot Amy and Karen were going to watch my friend (Pam) run a road race in Falmouth.

For anyone curious, Pam is not a runner. It was my understanding that Pam has never trained to run 7 miles. Apparently, she agreed to run the road race with her husband (Ed). Ed, by the way, has still yet to call me after work. (Sorry, personal joke.) Nevertheless, Pam and Ed were up from Bon Jovi's home state of New Jersey for the week. And nothing starts a vacation like a good 7 mile run.

For anyone curious, Pam and Ed did finish the road race. I don't know about the details in regards to time or anything, but they finished. Good for them. I was mainly concerned that Pam would hurt herself. After all, people don't normally go from not training to suddenly running a road race. That is generally how injuries happen. From what I have been told, however, there were no injuries.

Anyway, Karen, Jen and Hot Amy went to watch Pam run. So what does one do with a free day all by his lonesome? I organize the garage of course. Unfortunately, I suck at organizing the garage.

The main reason for the recent organization of the garage has to do with a renovation that is coming soon. A while ago, Karen and I decided to renovate our garage using what is called the Viking Wall Panel system. This Viking system is offered only through Home Depot. And unfortunately, only Home Depot can install the system. (That's how they get you.)

Basically, the Viking system is a bunch of wall panels that are attached to the existing walls. What makes the Viking walls unique is its ability to hold hooks, cabinets, and whatnot anywhere on the wall. It's suppose to maximize storage options... which is great if anyone has seen our garage. Trust me, the garage is a mess. I can never find things that I put in the garage. The garage is like a black hole... things go in... they don't come out.

Nevertheless, Karen and I thought the Viking panels were worth the investment. Well, technically, we thought it was worth the time. As much as I would have preferred to do the garage project on my own, I have grown quite lazy... unmotivated... mindless... etc. of late. Some may call it a rut. So having someone else work on something is a much needed break.

Anyway, I basically started by cleaning and organizing my tools in the garage. Had I been in a different mindset, I may have been tempted to do something to Hot Amy's car... because I'm like that. Hot Amy was gracious enough to leave me her car in the event that I needed to go somewhere while they were gone. (Karen drove the three of them to Falmouth, so I really did not have a viable transportation option should the need arise.) Oh, the possibilities of what I could have done to Hot Amy's car. Perhaps next time.

Needless to say, I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Who knew I had so many tools, screws, miscellaneous stuff, and whatnot in the garage? I actually had to stop after awhile because my back and legs were hurting me. I think the pain was caused from my wearing sandals while cleaning the garage. I normally do not wear sandals because of the lack of support they provide. I don't know what caused me to wear them on Sunday.

The funny thing is... with all the cleaning I did on Sunday, the garage still looks like a mess. It's very sad. By the way, if anyone wants a digital programmable thermostat, a digital thermostat, or a hook... let me know.

When Karen, Jen, Hot Amy returned from their trip, I had basically stopped with the garage cleanup. I literally could not continue with it any more. I started shuffling like an elderly person. My body was in so much pain. (Damn those sandals!)

Truth be told, Jen looked like she would be in a lot more pain that me. Jen was pretty burnt from being in the sun in Falmouth. She said that she could even feel the heat from her skin. Karen had a slight burn along her arm, which was the part that she missed when applying her sunscreen. (Yes, Karen does seem to habitually miss spots when applying sunscreen.) As for Hot Amy, she had that owl-look. I have a feeling that she may have been wearing her sunglasses all day.

As much as I was in pain... shuffling like an old man after cleaning some of the garage... I was definitely glad that I did not have a sun tan or a sun burn. I have a slight aversion to sunlight. I guess you could say I'm a vampire that way. Sure, vitamin D is important. I just don't like being in the sun. The thought of baking my skin does not appeal to me.

Anyway, there is still a lot more to do in terms of cleaning up and organizing the garage. I hope Karen and I can finish in time before the renovation work begins.

No comments: