Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Still Suck At Organizing The Garage

On Saturday, Karen attended a concert with my BFF (Kerry) and my friend (Jen). The concert was the country fest concert. I have no idea if that is what the actual concert was called, but it had numerous country artists playing. Among them were Miranda Lambert, Lady Antebellum, Montgomery Gentry, Sugarland, and the headliner: Kenny Chesney.

Needless to say, Karen was quite excited about the concert. For a long time, Karen has been a big fan of country music. It was not until recently that country music seemed to have gotten rather popular... popular enough that Jen and Kerry would want to even attend a country music concert.

Truth be told, growing up I never liked country music because the music was too twangy. Now, it seems like country music is more pop than twangy. So, it's a lot more enjoyable in my opinion... not that I am saying I am a fan of country music or anything. I'm just saying that it is my opinion that country music is a lot more better now than in the past.

Anyway, I don't think I have seen Karen quite as excited for something in a long time. So it was a nice change. Since our son (Braden) passed away last year, I know things have been a little difficult for Karen. Prior to Braden's passing in September, she seemed to be excited about the New Kids concert (in September). Unfortunately, when the concert came... she was okay. I mean, she still had a good time, but she was not all giddy with anticipation (like she was with this country concert) which is understandable given the situation.

Regardless, I was happy to see Karen enjoying something again. It was nice for a change. And thank you Jen for wanting to bring Karen. For anyone curious, Jen won tickets to the concert from her work. Jen is lucky that way. She seems to always win things. It's her uncanny ability.

So while Karen, Jen and Kerry were enjoying the concert, I worked on organizing the garage. Too bad I still suck at organizing the garage. The garage has become the bane of my existence. Of course, part of that is my fault for letting the garage become so unmanageable. The two car garage has become so unmanageable that zero cars can actually fit in the garage... that is... until now. (Sure, only one car can now fit in the garage, but it's a start.)

Anyway, one of the reasons why the organization of the garage has taken me so long is because there are actually some home improvement projects within the garage that subsequently need to be done. The main project is the replacement of drywall in certain areas. A long time ago, when the house was still a one story house, there was water damage.

Unfortunately, water is a house's worst offender. When the second story was added to the house, the problem was corrected so that there would be no more future water damage to that area of the garage. Within the inside of the garage, however, there were still remnants from the existing water damage that needed to be replaced. That drywall did not get replaced until... well... Saturday.

Basically, I spent most of the day ripping out the dirty old drywall and replacing it. I even had time to add tape and compound to the joints. Needless to say, it was not fun. But it needed to be done.

Anyway, from there I started organizing some parts of the garage again. And by organize, I mean temporarily move items out of the garage and elsewhere in the house (or shed). And with all the moving, I was able to fit a car in one of the garage bays (I checked it by driving the car into the garage).

Unfortunately, there is still a lot more work to do on organizing the garage. If anyone wants a round digital thermostat, or a square digital thermostat, or a black hook, let me know. Heck, if anyone is interested in a Beastie Boys tape or a Blondie tape, let me know. (Yes, I realize that even after giving away a thermostat to Kerry that I still have two thermostats in need of a home.)

All in all, I'm making progress.