Monday, August 31, 2009

I Suck At Finishing The Garage

With the non-stop rain, Saturday was the perfect day to organize things and put them neatly back into garage. After all, the heavy downpour pretty much made going outside not exactly the most favorable option. The only problem: The garage was not finished. Now I suck at finishing the garage. It just so happens that I was not finishing the garage. The contractors were.

Saturday became day 4 of the garage renovation. The original estimate provided by the company hired by Home Depot was two days. In two days, Karen and I were supposed to have a new wall panel system installed in our garage with a new floating rubber floor. Instead, in two days we had a partially completed wall panel system and no floor.

Having finished the wall panel system on Friday, all that was left for the contractors was the floor. So while the contractors worked on installing the floor on Saturday, Karen and I wasted time around the house. We were itching to do something productive during the bad weather. Unfortunately, that was not going to happen.

One of the things we were hoping to do was laundry. Our washer and dryer are currently located in our garage. With the contractors working on the garage (and particularly the floor), our washer and dryer had to be temporarily disconnected... for four days. Four days may not seem a lot, but it did make having clean clothes seem like a long time.

Eventually, the contractors finished installing the floor. Truth be told, the garage looks great. I'm ecstatic with the way the garage came out. Sure, I think the company could have done a better job of estimating the time it would take to finish the garage. If I had to take days off from work, I would be extremely perturbed. Luckily, I work from home most of the days.

Needless to say, I'm happy with the garage even if there are some slight imperfections. Like my friend (Cass) sometimes says... "It's not how I would do it..." I'm particularly happy that I didn't have to renovate the garage myself. The garage would never have gotten completed had I renovated the garage myself because I would always put the project off. (Heck, our first floor bathroom is proof of that.)

Regardless, it is nice to have a finished garage now. The problem, of course, is keeping the garage nice and tidy. With any luck, I'll have the garage door opener working and we can actually park the car in the garage. (Baby steps...)

Anyway, to celebrate the new garage, my friends (Marc and Kelley) came over. Marc and Kelley were coming back from their vacation on Saturday. They were quite excited about their vacation. It sounded like they had a great time, which is cool.

I actually felt bad for asking them to come over. They had been driving around all week, so I'm sure driving down to Norwell was probably a pain. At the time, the contractors were still installing the floor, and I couldn't leave the contractors alone to finish their work because they needed my signature and stuff for when they completed the job. As it was, Marc and Kelley arrived while the contractors were finishing up.

Needless to say, the four of us had a great time. Marc and Kelley had some cheese that they had gotten on their trip... as well as some wine. So we hung out and tried the food. The cheese was good. The cheese had bacon in it... how delicious is that?

All in all, the day turned out to be pretty good despite the heavy rain and the lack of being productive during the day. (It really was agonizing during the day. Karen played some Bejeweled... We watched Senator Ted Kennedy's funeral service. I twiddled my thumbs. Yes, very boring.) So needless to say, hanging out with friends is always a good thing. Karen and I are lucky to have good friends.