Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I Suck At Celebrating My Mom's Birthday

Yesterday was my mother's birthday. Happy birthday, mom! I love you! Of course, I suck at celebrating my mom's birthday. In fact, with everything that has been on my mind lately, I almost forgot about her birthday altogether. It was not until Karen mentioned it that I remembered.

After work, I went to my parents' house to see my mom wish her a happy birthday. Her eyes lit up with excitement when Karen and I showed up. Lately, I have not had the time to stop by for a visit. I know it's generally time for a visit when my mom starts laying the whole guilt trip thing about never stopping by. (I think that's what mothers do...)

I actually shouldn't complain. I love my mom. And if there's anything that the passing of my son (Braden) has taught me, it's that time is precious. I should cherish the time that I have with my mom... and everyone in my life really... because you never know much time there will be left. I only had a week with Braden and although things did not work out, it was an amazing week.

It's too bad things with Braden did not work out. My mother would have been on cloud nine having a grandson. I can just tell that she would have been giddy. I know it's not my fault, but I do sometimes feel like I let her down in that regards. If Karen were pregnant, telling my mom the news on her birthday would have been the best present. My mom would have been so happy... not that she would not have been happy otherwise.

Unfortunately, I don't know if things will ever be right again. I guess time will tell. Anyway, happy birthday mom! I hope you had a great day.

No comments: