Friday, August 21, 2009

I Suck At Celebrating My Friend's Birthday

Yesterday was a great day. It so happens that yesterday was my friend's (Hot Amy) birthday. Happy birthday your hotness! I hope you enjoyed your day. Naturally, I suck at celebrating my friend's birthday. I generally give Hot Amy a big bag of nothing for her birthday. After all, it goes well with her jewelry. Yesterday was no exception.

But what made yesterday truly great was the fact that I got to hang out with some friends in Foxboro, home of the New England Patriots. The New England Patriots were scheduled to play the Cincinnati Bengals in a preseason football game.

I actually have my friend (Ron) to thank for the football tickets. Ron is a season ticket holder. Unfortunately, he could not go to the game with his family. So, he offered the tickets to me.

Needless to say, even though it was preseason, I was pretty happy to go to the game. The game was something different from my normal routine. And lately, I have been thinking that Karen and I needed to get out and do something different to take our minds off of things. So as luck would have it, we went to the football game. Thank you again, Ron! I really can't thank him enough.

Joining Karen and I on our Patriots excursion were my favorite sister-in-law (Janine) and her BFF (Gretchen). For Gretchen, it was her first time going to a football game in Foxboro. I guess you could say she was a Patriots virgin.

Needless to say, the four of us headed to Foxboro for some light tailgating. As the weather was hot, humid, and muggy, grilling was not an option. Luckily, we made sandwiches beforehand. Technically, I should say Gretchen and Janine made sandwiches beforehand. Gretchen made this huge container of chicken salad, complete with cranberries and almonds. (Cue Rachael Ray's "Yum-O" sound.) I probably could have eaten the entire container.

When we were done tailgating, we headed into the stadium for the game. We actually had to make a brief pit stop in one of the sections of the stadium so that Gretchen could see one of her friends. Apparently, she has not seen him in 17 years. And like any giddy school girl, she was quite excited to see him again. (Oh, I forgot to mention... she had a crush on him way back when.)

Of course, I thought it would have been funny if the guy were fat and bald. I'm mean that way. I'm amazed I still have friends. Truth be told, the guy was cute.

Anyway, it turns out that it was a good thing that we got to see Gretchen's old crush. While Gretchen was all giddy with excitement, I did some reconnaissance. By reconnaissance, I mean I went looking for some sweet seats... not that there was anything wrong with the tickets that we had. I just wanted better seats.

(Pictured below are Gretchen, Janine, and Karen at the game.)


It being preseason, I figured there would be a bunch of empty seats. Lo and behold, I was correct. I was able to score the four of us some pretty nice seats that were not too far from the field. Like I tell most people, it's all about presentation. If you act like you belong or know what you are doing, you can probably get away with it. It's all part of my rules for delinquency... not that I actually have a written list of rules or anything.

For anyone curious, I did have a delinquent incident during my childhood... so breaking the rules is nothing new to me. Truth be told, I was actually quite proud of Karen for following suit. Karen is definitely a rule follower. She was all nervous at first, but she settled into it.

Anyway, it's not like I was doing anything that was awful. The rightful owners of the seats were not attending the game. So the seats were going to be claimed by other people who were in attendance anyway. I just happened to beat them to it.

Needless to say, I think the four of us had a great time despite the fact that the Patriots lost to the Bengals 7-6. It was great to just hang out and enjoy the game. I know I had fun.

Thanks again Ron! It was a much needed break.

No comments: