Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I Suck At Hanging Out With Joanna

Yesterday, Karen and I met up with my friends (Jen and Joanna) and my BFF (Kerry). Joanna, who currently lives in Oregon, is back for a visit because her brother is expecting a baby any day now. Now, I suck at hanging out with Joanna.

For anyone curious, Joanna is a vegetarian. So naturally, we decided to meet at Fish 'N Chicken, which is located in Quincy. (Like most restaurants, there are other items on the menu besides fish or chicken.)

Joanna cracks me up. I'll have to give her credit though. She was way into recycling and reusing well before the trend of going green became popular. It so happens that Joanna was the person who created a coupon wallet out of extra milk carton labels for Karen. And yes, Karen still uses that wallet whenever she goes grocery shopping.

Karen even suggested that Joanna, and her mad milk carton skills, start her own television show. Since getting Verizon FIOS, Karen and I have been addicted to the Planet Green channel. The content of the shows are great. For some shows, however, the hosts are simply terrible. The hosts make the show painful to watch at times. Hence the idea of Joanna having her own recycling television show. It all fits. Plus, I even came up with a name for her show. We just need her to get on board, of course.

Anyway, that was just one of the silly ideas that we discussed yesterday. Among the other topics of discussion included Joanna's brother's (Jon) aspiring manuscript awaiting publication, her father's tomato plants (which could be part of Joanna's television show!), her failure to accept her father as a "friend" on Facebook, and Kerry's FEMA application.

It's funny what people remember about you when you haven't seen them in awhile. With Jon having recently written the great American novel, Joanna thought about how I had enjoyed writing at one time in my life. Particularly, she remembered my penchant for writing screenplays... which I guess explains why I enjoy watching so many movies.

Naturally, I almost felt compelled and inspired to try to write again when Joanna brought the topic of writing up. Almost. Nevertheless, it was a nice feeling to reminisce about the past and enjoy the simpler things.

Anyway, I had a good time last night. Of course, the ice cream dinner may have also helped. I'm a glutton for ice cream.

No comments: