Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Suck At John Hughes Movies

Yesterday, my friends (Marc and Kelley) organized a little movie marathon. The theme for the movie marathon: John Hughes, the person responsible for many great memorable movies during our childhood. For anyone curious, John Hughes died of a heart attack on August 6th. So, the movie marathon was a tribute to late great writer/director/producer.

Unfortunately, I suck at John Hughes movies. On the agenda for the night: Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty In Pink. All of those movies... classic!

(The video below is from Ferris Bueller.)


(The video below is a trailer for Sixteen Candles.)


(The video below is from Pretty In Pink.)


Joining in on the movie fun were my BFF (Kerry) and my friends (Andrea, Cass, and Ellen) My friend (Aimee) was also able to make a little brief pit stop with her children (Rio and Amaya).

The night started off with a blast. And by blast, I mean pink martinis! Kelley made pink martinis for the occasion which were absolutely delicious. As it was a celebration of sorts, I naturally imbibed. Needless to say, the pink martini was good.

Not to be outdone, Andrea also brought a special treat for the night. Andrea generally brings something good to a party. It just so happens that on Saturday Andrea brought pudding shots. Pudding shots are like Jell-o shots, just with pudding. The pudding shots were quite delicious. I could have eaten the entire tray if given enough time. There is, after all, always room for... pudding.

Anyway, it was a fun night to enjoy the movies with a bunch of friends. I always like watching movies to see actors and actresses before they were stars. Case in point: Kristy Swanson, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Kristy Swanson appeared in Ferris Bueller as Simone, the girl who explained to Ben Stein why Ferris was out sick. As well, she also appeared in Pretty In Pink as the girl who ended up with the one and only Duckie.

In addition to seeing actors and actresses of years past, I like to see how well movies stand the test of time. Sixteen Candles was interesting because there were scenes of sexual harrassment that were supposed to be comedic. Oh those silly kids. Pretty In Pink was pretty funny too, just for the awful kissing scenes between Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy. (Their kissing scenes made Jake Lloyd's acting look good. Well, okay I won't go that far.)

Needless to say, I think everyone else had a good time because there is talk now of a regular 80's movie night. I'll admit... I'm pretty excited about it. Of course, I do tend to like all things 80's... even the big hair.

1 comment:

Dre said...

I am glad you liked the pudding shots.

Next time, the Breakfast Club and my all time favorite, St. Elmo's Fire.