Monday, July 6, 2009

I Suck At Renee's Cookout

Like the fifth Friday the 13th film, Sunday was a new beginning. In honor of the new beginning, I figured that I would change things up a little and actually start capitalizing in my posts. I'm sure my friend (Marc) will be happy to know that fact.

Anyway, Sunday is not really much of a new beginning. Sunday simply marks the beginning of my booze-stinance. (Think abstinance, except with booze.) Truth be told, I have been thinking about giving up alcohol for some time.

Knock on wood... I don't have any liver problems. In fact, I generally pride myself on my liver... having only had one hangover ever in my life due to imbibing an entire bottle of wine. Usually, I can drink whatever... in whatever quantities... and not feel the ill side effects the following day. Heck, I seldom experience the "alcohol flush reaction" when drinking.

For anyone curious, according my friend wikipedia:

"Alcohol flush reaction (colloquially referred to as Asian Flush, Asian Glow, Red Cheeks, Oriental Flush, Big Blush, Russian Glow) is a condition in which the body cannot break down ingested alcohol completely, due to a missense polymorphism that encodes the enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), normally responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol. Flushing, or blushing, is associated with the erythema (reddening caused by dilation of capillaries) of the face, neck, shoulder, and in some cases, the entire body after consumption of alcohol."

My friend (Aimee) immediately turns red with one sip of alcohol. It's amazing. Regardless, despite the miracle known as my liver, I have had thoughts before about giving up the fire water.

My mother was recently diagnosed with liver problems. More recently, Aimee's mother had problems with her liver. Unfortunately, Aimee's mother has since passed away. So when my friend (Kelley) considered temporarily giving up alcohol herself to help her own digestive issues, I figured that it may be time to at least put some action behind the thought.

Thus, it was a no-brainer... a win-win situation: I can show my support for Kelley. I can show my support for Aimee's mother. I can show my support for my mom. And my liver can thank me later. Granted, I don't even know if I can even accomplish the task. But in my mind, I'm really no different when I am drinking than when I am not drinking. (Sure, I may be a little more "huggy" when inebriated, but that's about it.) And really, the task is only for a couple of months... possibly longer depending on how things go.

Plus, there is the possible bonus of my actually having to face reality and not drown my sorrows in booze. Since my son (Braden) passed away, I feel that I have imbibed more... whether true or not. From a convenience point of view, it was just easier to drink than socialize or whatever. Anyway, hopefully my friends won't care too much that I have given up alcohol for the time being.

I guess another benefit of giving up alcohol is that it is a challenge... and everyone knows, particularly my friend (Hot Amy), that I love a challenge. I really haven't had a challenge in some time. Perhaps I'm like an adrenaline junkie... except that instead of adrenaline, I need a challenge. I'd challenge Hot Amy more often if she ever won a challenge. Just kidding.

Anyway, drinking aside, Karen and I were invited to Karen's friend's (Renee) cookout in Lynn. Now, I suck at Renee's cookout. Apparently, Renee's family were meeting her husband's (Jeffrey) family for the first time. Sure, Renee and Jeffrey have been married for over three years... but I guess the two families never had the opportunity to meet one another... until now.

Thus, Karen, Karen's friend (Christine), and I were invited to the cookout to provide a buffering zone. Karen and I actually ended up grilling the hot dogs and burgers for the cookout, which was good because it allowed Renee and Jeffrey to mingle between their respective families... and probably let them de-stress.

It was an interesting time. It has been quite a while since I have seen Renee, Jeffrey, and Christine. The last time I saw them was probably Braden's funeral service in September. And for anyone curious, Christine enjoyed the "Twilight" series of books. (I still don't get the allure of "Twilight".)

Anyway, I had a good time.

1 comment:

aimee said...

fyi, my mom's liver problems had nothing to do with alcohol. she had open heart surgery in 1984 and contracted hepatitis c from a blood transfusion during that operation.

i am glad you are giving up the booze. your liver will thank you later. :)