Monday, July 20, 2009

I Suck At Martha's Vineyard

Today, Karen, my friend (Andrea), my BFF (Kerry), and I ventured over to Martha's Vineyard to spend the day. Now, I suck at Martha's Vineyard. I have not been to Martha's Vineyard in quite some time... probably around the end of high school or early college. In fact, Kerry reminded me of the time my friend (Marc) took his car over the ferry, forgot to turn on his lights when exiting, drove the wrong way, and got an officer angry with him. Ah, the good old days. So, it's been quite some time.

Andrea, however, has never been to Martha's Vineyard, which is where the movie Jaws was filmed... as well as the burial place of John Belushi. I don't think Andrea cared much for those particular details about Martha's Vineyard. She seemed more interested in obtaining her goal: purchasing a Black Dog sweatshirt.

For anyone curious, no... Andrea is not a big fan of the Patrick Swayze movie, "Black Dog"... well, at least to my knowledge. "Black Dog" was a terrible trucking movie. The unrelated Black Dog that Andrea was interested about was the tavern/retail company based on Robert Douglas, a captain who called Martha's Vineyard his home. Douglas just so happened to have... a black dog.

Anyway, one of the first things that the four of did when we got off the ferry in Oak Bluffs in Martha's Vineyard was visit the Black Dog store. (We subsequently visited the other Black Dog stores in the other parts of the Vineyard too.) Oh, one of the other things that we did when we first arrived was visit the oldest operating carousel in the United State as well... which is the Flying Horses Carousel. And yes, Andrea purchased her Black Dog sweatshirt.

With Kerry acting as our tour guide (since she was the one who had been there the most recent out of the four of us), we then ventured to see the gingerbread houses. In Wesleyan Grove, there are over 350 gingerbread cottages that encircle a Methodist Tabernacle that was the site of an annual revival. The place started out as a campsite and gradually grew more elaborate over the years. Thus, to distinguish between the tents in the campsite, the different gingerbread designs were created. Karen and Andrea actually know more about the gingerbread cottage history of the campsite as they ventured into the Cottage Museum.

Kerry and I just killed time while Karen and Andrea were in the museum. I actually had quite the chuckle with Kerry. While we were sitting on the ground waiting for Karen and Andrea, Kerry had her knees bent and tucked in toward her chest. She then whipped out a map of Martha's Vineyard from what appeared to be her cleavage. It was not her cleavage. There was a bag between her knees and her chest, but the quick motion had me laughing.

Following the cottages, we ended up having lunch at the Offshore Ale Company. (Cue Rachael Ray's "Yum-O" sound.) The place was delicious. I highly recommend it. For anyone curious, I ordered a fish sandwich. Generally, fish sandwiches are highly greasy. This one... was great... and the portions were nice too.

After lunch, we ventured to Aquinnah. Unfortunately, we had to make a little pit stop in Vineyard Haven (Tisbury) because we took public transportation. (We purchased the all day bus pass to transport ourselves around the island.) We had just missed the bus that was taking us to Aquinnah, so we had some time to kill in Vineyard Haven.

Anyway, we eventually made it to Aquinnah. Aquinnah, formerly known as Gay Head, was the only thing that I really wanted to see in Martha's Vineyard. The last time I was in Martha's Vineyard, I remembered the Gay Head Cliffs. I remember the site being beautiful and scenic. Sure enough, the place is still very nice. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a nude beach below the cliffs as well.

(The picture below is of the Gay Head Cliffs.)


For anyone curious, my favorite cliffs are still the Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland... not that I'm a cliff aficionado or anything. Of course, I may be even more biased now because while on our way to the Gay Head Cliffs, my boss called me. Apparently, there was some work emergency... and chickens were running around without their heads.

Believe me, I am not important enough to be contacted normally for work. So, it must really have been an emergency for me to be called. Being contacted during a vacation by your place of employment is never fun. It can ruin your day because from that point on... all you can think about is work. Sigh.

Regardless, we headed to Edgartown after the Gay Head Cliffs. While Karen, Kerry and Andrea did some shopping, I sat by the dock on a conference call. Well, technically, I did not have a conference call. I called the conference line like my boss asked me to do... waited... and waited... waited for 15 minutes... hung up... called my boss at work... left a message on his voice mail... called the conference line again... waited for 5 minutes... hung up... called my boss's cell phone... left a message on his voice mail... called the conference line again... waited 2 minutes... hung up... called my boss's home number... and finally spoke with my boss. The conference call had been canceled. Yes, I was quite annoyed and frustrated. But at least I got to see a swan up close and personal while I sat waiting for the conference call.

After catching back up with Karen, Kerry, and Andrea, we indulged in a little relaxation therapy known as ice cream. We decided to eat at Mad Martha's Ice Cream. Mad Martha's Ice Cream... delicious. Normally, I don't eat ice cream for dinner... but today was one of those rare occasions which required it. The cookiewich was very good. (Cue Rachael Ray's "Yum-O" sound.)

Eventually, we made our way back to the ferry. In fact, Kerry got to see a part of Oak Bluffs that she had never seen before. She seemed quite excited.

All in all, I had a great time in Martha's Vineyard (work stuff aside). It was fun to be with everyone. Needless to say, the four of us were wiped out when we got back to the vacation house in Onset. We did, after all, spend the entire day and night in Martha's Vineyard. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: