Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Suck At Eating Ice Cream

Today, Karen and I left for our vacation in the Cape. Joining us were my friend (Andrea) and my BFF (Kerry).

The four of us had rented a house for the week as a means to just hang out together, relax, and enjoy each other's company. For me, this was the first time that I have been to Onset. Karen used to visit Onset with her family when she was growing up. Andrea likewise was familiar with Onset. I'm not sure about Kerry.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited. There was actually very little traffic on our way down to Onset. So we arrived pretty early at the house. And might I add, the house in Onset is very nice. The house is literally right across from the beach. As an extra bonus, the owners of the house were installing new faux wood blinds in the unit. So we get to break the blinds in! Now no one can see what we're doing inside... not that we would be doing anything anyways...

Because we arrived early, the four of us had lunch at Marc Anthony's Pizzeria. Apparently, people love the food at Marc Anthony's. I have heard a lot of recommendations for the place. Andrea and I ended up splitting a pizza. Truth be told, the pizza was okay. It was not terrible. It was not the best I have ever had either. But it was good.

Following lunch and a brief walking tour around the neighborhood, the four of us did what any vacationer down in the Cape would do: we went to the beach. The beach in Onset is nice. I have never been a big beach person, probably because I like to be active. Lying around in the sun has never been high on my list of activities... and apparently it shows because right now I have a little burn on my chest, a result of not applying any sunscreen in my attempt to get rid of my farmer's tan.

Anyway, the beach was surprisingly fun even if I did turn a little pink. (Curse you sun... you and your anit-Rickets vitamin D abilities!) The water was nice. The breeze was great. Plus, I even learned an interesting thing from Andrea. Andrea likes to rub her feet in the sand, because like a pumice stone, the action makes skin nice and smooth. Naturally, I tried it out. Interestingly enough, it's true. My skin was noticeably smoother. I am hoping to have baby soft hands and feet by the end of the week now. We'll see how that goes.

After our little beach excursion where I managed to get a little burnt on my chest (eyes up here please), we headed off to get some groceries for the week at the local Stop and Shop. When we returned, we had a little cookout. There is a commercial grill at the house in Onset. The grill is cool. I want one. Of course, I want a lot of things... and to quote Adam Sandler... "We're living in a material world and I am a material girl... or boy."

Anyway, shortly thereafter the four of us decided to get some ice cream. Andrea has decided that she will have ice cream every night... which, of course, I am all for. Unfortunately, I suck at eating ice cream.

(Pictured below is my ice cream cone.)


We went to Guido's for ice cream. Sure, I agree. It's an odd name. I ordered the daily special: double dutch chocolate. (Cue Rachael Ray's "Yum-o" sound.) The ice cream was good. Unfortunately, I had the ice cream all over me. I had ice cream dripping down the cone... all over my hands... my arm... my mouth. It was not a pretty sight. A seven year old could eat ice cream better than me. But, it tasted good. (Well, the parts that did not drip all over me were good.)

If ice cream weren't enough excitement for the day, today was "Illumination" in Onset. Apparently, the harbor master "illuminates" the beach by creating a ring of flares. The illumination was quite beautiful looking (like Karen, Kerry, and Andrea... brownie points... brownie points.)

To cap off the night, we ended up watching a couple of episodes of Veronica Mars. Veronica Mars is such a good show. All in all, it has been a great first day for our vacation. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the week.

No comments: