Monday, July 13, 2009

I Suck At Fashion Advice

Yesterday was quite the family bonding experience.

The day began with a friendly visit from my parents. Since being laid off, my mother has become rather bored around the house. Her boredom usually translates to frequent visits and possible guilt trips about why I don't visit her and my father more often. Don't get me wrong. I love my parents. Sometimes, I just want to relax and not have to stress about things or help them fill out health forms or retirement forms any of that. I just want to relax.

As luck would have it, Karen's grandparents also came over for a visit while my parents were there. Karen's grandparents stopped by to see Karen's garden... which is doing as well as can be in the new raised bed given the rainy weather. Of course, it doesn't help that our neighborhood critters (also known as rabbits) have eaten a good portion of the garden.

So pretty much, I entertained my parents and Karen's grandparents for some time. No stress there. It's a good thing that my parents and Karen's grandparents both enjoy each others' company.

Anyway, when my parents and Karen's grandparents left for the day, I had the house all to myself... for about half an hour. In that time, I watched part of the Red Sox game... only to doze off ten minutes into watching.

When I woke up, Karen had returned. She was a little perturbed to find me sleeping on the couch. So from there, I started to mow the lawn while Karen used the weed wacker to get at those pesky tufts of grass. I actually had to hurry up with the lawn mowing because we had plans with my favorite sister-in-law (Janine) and her family.

Janine invited us over for a cookout. It was a good cookout. In fact, we got to christen my favorite brother-in-law's (PJ) new grill that he picked up that day. In addition to the grilled pork, Janine had made some stuffed mushrooms that were really delicious. I do like mushrooms. Heck, I'm one fun guy (fungi). All right. Bad pun.

Following the cookout, Janine's friend (Gretchen) came over. Gretchen, or "G-Force" as she likes to call herself, cracks me up. She had just gone on a date, courtesy of Match.com and apparently could not wait for the date to end. I guess the date was that bad. One of her sticking points: the date had awful feet.

Granted, there were a bunch of other reasons as to why the date did not work out, but I enjoyed the awful feet reason because of its absurdity. Naturally, her list of prerequisites got me thinking about my other single female friends and their own prerequisites for men. I, of course, won't comment on that because whatever I say is likely to get me into trouble.

Anyway, after hearing about Gretchen's awful date (at least from the way she described it), all of us started to watch Janine walk down the fashion runway... dispensing fashion advice. Now, I suck at fashion advice. After all, just look at me. My wardrobe, when I'm not lying around in my boxer-briefs at home, consists of shorts and a t-shirt.

Nevertheless, Janine was trying to decide on what to wear for her upcoming trip to Las Vegas (with Gretchen and PJ). The outfits looked pretty good on Janine. I don't know what what she was worrying about. I'm sure she'll have a great time.

That was about it for the night. Yesterday actually turned out to be quite fun.

1 comment:

Amy said...

The guy must have sandals on? I am curious about the feet?