Monday, July 13, 2009

I Suck At Denim Insulation

Today, I took a little stroll to Stoneham, Massachusetts. What is in Stoneham? Aside from the birthplace of Olympic figure skater, Nancy Kerrigan? According to my friend wikipedia, Stoneham was in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the greatest number of gas stations along a one-mile strip in the 1970s. Interestingly enough, there used to be a place called "Cheese Rock" in Stoneham. Bizarre.

Actually, the reason why I went to Stoneham was to visit a place called the Green Depot. The Green Depot sells environmentally friendly building supplies. After getting hooked on Planet Green television shows complements of Verizon FiosTV, Karen and I decided to see what it would be like to renovate a room using environmentally friendly products.

As it so happens, Karen and I are in the midst of renovating the bathroom on the first floor. When you watch the television shows and learn about how detrimental to the planet the average American lifestyle can be, it's almost a no-brainer to take initiative and make the future a better for the upcoming generation... assuming all the waste that has happened thus far to our planet is not too late.

My friend (Joanna) was way ahead of her time when she recycled milk labels and convert them into wallets. I thought it was neat that she was able to be that crafty with recycled products. Granted, I'm nowhere as talented as Joanna. So, I'll do what I can to help the environment. That includes a little experiment in building green.

Anyway, Stoneham is on my long commute home from my office in Marblehead. As Karen was working late today, I had ample time to visit the store and learn about the product I was intending to buy: denim insulation. Now I suck at denim insulation.

For anyone curious, denim insulation is natural cotton fiber insulation made from scraps of denim at clothing factories. These scraps would normally be tossed into the garbage and become landfill waste. Unlike the common fiberglass insulation, denim insulation does not itch. In fact, I got to actually see a sample of the insulation. The denim insulation felt like a big puffy blanket. It was comfy and nice. Heck, I might just roll around in it for fun. (No itch, remember?)

The one drawback of denim insulation, however, is the size of the rolls that denim insulation comes in. The rolls for denim insulation is quite large and rectangular. (So, it's not much of a "roll" per se.) Since I drive a tiny little Saturn, there was only room for one roll and it took up the entire back seat. I could not even see through my rear view mirror. That's how big the roll was. Needless to say, I will need to make more trips on my commute home if I am to get enough insulation to cover the bathroom. Luckily, I won't be needing too many more rolls of denim insulation.

Anyway, I am quite happy with the denim insulation thus far. Granted, I have not installed the denim insulation yet. For all I know, the insulation could be a pain to work with and not worth the cost. (I doubt either of those are true, based on what I have read thus far about denim insulation.) Simply knowing that I'm helping the environment and contributing to the general good is enough for me right now.

1 comment:

Dre said...

When the Rodeo gets fixed, you can borrow the Rodeo to put up the denim insulation if that helps.