Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Suck At Guitar Hero

following our "last supper" style dinner, karen and i went to my favorite sister-in-law's (janine). in fact, janine invited everyone back to her place after our dinner at joe's american bar and grill. so in addition to karen and myself, my friends (jen, hot amy and andrea) went back to her place as did my friends (pam, ed, and their children: owen and keira). that's a lot of people. and as my favorite brother-in-law (pj) would ask... "where would all the people sit?"

needless to say, things were quite interesting at janine and pj's. my nephew (pj) was very good at sharing and playing with owen and keira. i think my niece (kaleigh), however, was more into dancing like hannah montana.

(the video below is of jen, hot amy, karen, kaleigh and pj dancing like hannah montana... complete with hannah montana wigs.)


anyway, everyone seemed to be having a great time. i felt a little bad because... as much fun as it was tonight... i was just not feeling the happy vibes myself tonight. i sometimes wonder if my jekyll and hyde personality will ever go away. ever since my son (braden) passed away three months ago, i seem to go 180 degrees from being a wreck to being normal at the snap of a finger. maybe it is the holidays. maybe it is seeing the joy that other people have with their own children. i don't know. unfortunately, tonight was one of those nights where i guess i would be labeled the "party pooper".

i think making me feel worse was the fact that janine got an ice cream cake for me... to celebrate my snow stormed birthday from last week. she thought it would be a good idea to celebrate my birthday today with a bunch of friends. sadly, not even that could shake my mood. needless to say, i felt a little bad for that.

following the ice cream cake celebration, we started to play the nintendo wii. for anyone who knows me, they would know that i love video games. unfortunately, not even video games could shake my mood. granted, i don't really consider the wii a gaming console, as it is targeted to the non-gaming crowd... so maybe that is why i remained in my blase mood.

anyway, we played guitar hero on the wii. now i suck at guitar hero... but as it turned out... i don't suck as badly as andrea. in andrea's defense, it was the first time she ever played guitar hero... truth be told, she was not that terrible considering it was the first time she played it.

surprisingly enough, hot amy was very good at guitar hero. like karen, i was completely shocked when hot amy played it for the first time. if you have ever seen hot amy dance... or do things that require any sort of coordination... you would know that she is not exactly the first person you would pick to be on your team. but, she was actually very good. karen thinks that hot amy's piano lesson background may be a reason for her mad guitar hero skills.

don't get me wrong, i could still beat hot amy in a guitar hero challenge. i may, however, feel a little more trepidation than usual because i could actually lose that challenge... that is how potential good at guitar hero hot amy could be. luckily, i don't think i will have to worry about a guitar hero challenge. i think hot amy is more interested in challenging me to a wii tennis match, probably because she won't have to break a sweat and run after the tennis ball in a real match. sure, i'm at a disadvantage because i don't own a wii like hot amy... but then again, i didn't play tennis in high school like hot amy either. so, i'm still feeling pretty confident about my chances.

plus, i think the whole guitar hero challenge is between hot amy and her bff, andrea. let's just say andrea... apparently is a little competitive and seems to not like being second fiddle (or guitar) to hot amy when it comes to guitar hero. andrea kept playing guitar hero until she could finish at least 25% of the song (hot amy had no problem finishing 25% of the song). and for the record... the song "slow ride"... very annoying now. i will probably hear that song in my sleep tonight...

anyway, it was a nice time at janine and pj's. as much fun as it was, i do wish i could have been in better spirits tonight. this dual persona that i have been feeling is definitely weird. i'm going away on a cruise monday and you would think that i would be all excited and whatnot. normally, i am... and at times i am... just for some reason i have been quite apathetic of late. the apathy annoys me.

hopefully things will turn around before the cruise.