Thursday, December 25, 2008

I Suck At Christmas

today is christmas. merry christmas everyone!

too bad i suck at christmas. i'm surprised i didn't get coal in my stocking because the holidays have definitely been tough this year. as an interesting side note, the whole "coal in the stocking" has some derivation in italian folklore with a character called la befana.

according to my friend wikipedia:

"Christian legend has it that La Befana was approached by the astrologers (the biblical three kings) a few days before Christ's birth. They asked for directions to where the Christ child was, but she did not know. She provided them with shelter for a night, as she was considered the best housekeeper in the village with the most pleasant home. They invited her to join them on the journey to find the Christ child, but she declined, stating she was too busy with her housework. Later, La Befana had a change of heart, and tried to search out the astrologers and the Christ child. That night she was not able to find them, so to this day, La Befana is searching for the Christ child. She leaves all the good children toys and candy, while the bad children get coal or bags of ashes."

it's obviously folklore because men would never ask for directions. just kidding.

anyway, karen and i started off our day with a visit to the cemetery to see our son (braden) who passed away three months ago. i wanted to get braden a little present this year, but unfortunately i could not find the right present. in my bouts of insanity, i might have to settle for what i call... a gnome protector... which is basically a gnome lawn ornament, placed on braden's marker... to watch and protect over him.

needless to say, it was a tough moment for me. it probably goes without saying that a few tears were shed. truth be told, i probably could have spent the entire day at the cemetery with my son and i would have been content.

from there, we headed to my favorite sister-in-law's (janine). janine usually hosts the family on christmas day. and by family, i mean karen's parents and grandparents. it was great to see my neice (kaleigh) and nephew (pj). they seemed very excited about today.

(the picture below is of a penguin.)


it so happens that this year was the year that karen and i saved... and ruined... christmas. kaleigh really wanted this particular toy that created cupcakes. the toy also decorated the cupcakes as well. kaleigh was slightly disappointed that santa did not give her that toy this morning. but lo' and behold, imagine her surprise when she unwrapped her present from her auntie and uncle. it was great watching the joy on her face when she opened her present. for that matter, it was equally enjoyable to watch pj open his present from us as well. (we got him a robot kit. pj loves robots.) yeah, we thought we were the cool aunt and uncle... until later when kaleigh had a little episode over the cupcake making/decorating toy. kaleigh was simply over tired... it is, after all, a lot of excitement in one day for a child.

anyway, from there karen and i went to my parents for dinner. i may have to figure out something for next year because there's just too much food to consume in a given day... between janine's and my parents'. nonetheless, it was nice to see my parents and my cousin (betty) and her son (marvin).

i even got a chance to speak with my brother on the phone to wish him merry christmas. (my brother lives in texas.) i don't know what it is. don't get me wrong, i love my brother. it just seems like i have nothing to talk to him about. our lives seem to be at vastly different points. i sometimes even think that he isn't quite sure about what to say to me because he is at a loss for words himself when it comes to his nephew, braden.

it's a bummer, i guess. i actually almost started to cry again when my mom gave me her present. my mom told karen and i that she wanted to get us something nice this year... but she didn't know what to get... so she gave us "lucky money", a tradition where cash is inserted in red envelopes. just the look in my mother's eyes of wanting to do more for karen and i got me a little choked up. i guess that is also why she sent us home with a lot of alcohol tonight... not that she wants us to drink ourselves silly... but because she just wants to give us something.

i don't know. all in all, it has been quite the emotional christmas for me. hopefully, next year will be a little more joyous. anyway, merry christmas everyone!

No comments: