Monday, December 15, 2008

I Suck At Celebrating My BFF's Birthday

today is my bff's (kerry) birthday. happy birthday kerry! too bad i suck at celebrating my bff's birthday.

i have known kerry for quite a long time... not as long as the time my friend (andrea) has known my other friend (hot amy)... but long enough. for anyone curious, i believe the whole "bff" label came about due to andrea's relationship with hot amy. a bunch of us were being silly and andrea had referred to hot amy as her bff. so naturally, i referred to kerry as mine. thus, my bff kerry was born.

labels aside, kerry has really been a great friend. (truth be told, karen and i are lucky to have a great supporting cast of friends.) kerry has done a lot in recent months. she cancelled her trip to the midwest for the babyshower that she had planned, so that she could be with karen and i when braden passed away. she took care of things during braden's service when everyone was at our house. she has frequently come down from salem (which is an hour drive) to just hang out with us. i probably don't tell her enough, but it has been very appreciated... by both karen and i.

unfortunately, one of the fondest memories i have about kerry involves track. back in the day, i used to run track and field. i believe it was kerry's first year on the track team. a bunch of us were at "the stadium" in quincy. as usual, i was just goofing off and hanging out... which was a prerequisite to running track. the next thing i know, kerry is absolutely yelling and screaming at my friend (jenny... not to be confused with jen). jenny is currently married to the best man at my wedding (hugh).

i don't remember what the argument was over, but it was quite interesting to watch... maybe because i enjoy a good catfight now and then... if only they were grabbing each others' hair. just kidding. needless to say, i remember kerry just storming off across the field in anger. i think at that point, i realized... don't mess with kerry.

luckily, i have always been on kerry's good side. there have been times that i have come quite close to bordering on her bad side with my instigating ways. thankfully though, she is my bff now.

kerry is quite the character. at one time, i remember a number of my friends having a crush on her. my friend marc... crush... my friend scott... crush... (their date didn't last too long) my friend garv... crush (and that was while garv was dating karen... for 3 years). looking back, it just seems too funny.

needless to say, kerry has provided me with a bunch of great memories. heck, she is even somewhat responsible for the term "calling kerry" which my friends currently use. the term originated when a bunch of us were in newport. (yes, nothing good comes out of rhode island except the family guy.) a bunch of us were able to head down early to newport for st. patrick's day. i think kerry may have been debating about joining us or not. so when i excused myself from the group, the term "calling kerry" was born because it was thought that i went to call kerry to ask her come join us. i was actually going to the bathroom. (and hence, "calling kerry" became a euphemism for going to the bathroom.)

on that note, i have had a lot of great memories with my bff. happy birthday kerry! i hope you enjoy your day today.