Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I Suck At Sleepy's

today, i went to my parents' house to pick up a pick. my father has a pick and said it would be good to use for my sod-busting/trench digging project from hell (primarily the trench digging part). my dad wanted to bring me the pick today, but couldn't because he was waiting for the delivery of new mattresses and box springs. as i was going to be in the neighborhood anyway, i didn't mind stopping by.

needless to say, shortly after i stopped by, my dad gave me the pick. i asked him how the mattresses were and all that. he showed the mattresses to me and told me how the delivery guys could not get one of the box springs up the stairs through the hallway, so he canceled the purchase of that box spring.

well, my mom came home shortly thereafter and my dad recounted the same story he had just mentioned to me. my mom wanted to verify that she wouldn't be charged for the canceled box spring purchase, so she called the place where she had bought the mattresses and box springs. (she got them at sleepy's, located in braintree.) unfortunately, that is when the trouble began.

my mom was okay at first when she spoke with the salesperson who sold her the mattresses and box spring. when the salesperson passed the phone on to the manager, that is when my mom got a little perturbed. my mom got frustrated and annoyed with the manager of sleepy's because he persistently asked why she wanted to cancel the order and then told her to call the 1-800 number.

needless to say, that did not sit well with my mom. so, as the good son, i got to accompany her and my dad as they marched to sleepy's in braintree to talk to the manager. (my parents generally have me do things like that because they think their english is terrible. it's really not, but i think they just think that.)

anyway, i suck at sleepy's. i don't know anything about sleepy's other than the annoying radio commercial i hear. i didn't even know it was in braintree. when we arrived, my mom spoke with the manager and the salesperson and she let the manager have it. (it's quite cute watching my mom get all angry.) even though i was brought in for my amazing english skills, i didn't even get to speak a word. i simply just watched (and probably smiled).

as it turns out, there was a miscommunication between the manager and my mom (obviously). the manager thought my mom wanted to cancel the entire order, not just the box spring item. and in an effort to make my mom happy, the manager (dean) gave her two black bags with the sleepy's logo on them. the bags are supposed to be used for groceries (since this is the age of recycling now).

although my mom was happy that things were cleared up, she wasn't too impressed with the black bags. in fact, she gave the bags to me as soon as we walked out (along with another bag she received once for buying a crate of noodles... don't ask). it was an interesting outing.