Monday, May 12, 2008

I Suck At Mother's Day

yesterday, karen and i celebrated mother's day by having her parents, her grandmother, and my parents over for lunch. as with most things involving my family, i get a little stressed. don't get me wrong, i love my parents. they are great parents. i think sometimes i just get stressed because they are my parents.

anyway, i suck at mother's day. while karen was preparing the vegetables, the couscous and the potatoes in the kitchen, i was grilling the pork outside. my mom even cooked some scallion pancakes... which she shouldn't have because it was mother's day and i wanted her to take a break and relax. sad to say, she likes to cook for people and consequently wanted to cook scallion pancakes for karen's parents, particularly karen's father. (my mom always likes to be doing something... preferably cooking for people. her dream job, if she could have one, would probably be to open a take out chinese restaurant and cook all day for people.)

similarly, my dad likes to be constantly doing something. shortly after lunch he started digging up the lawn to help with the sod-busting project. he was not dressed at all to work on the house, let alone the dirt of our front lawn. i know my parents want to do things and help. sometimes, i wish they could relax and simply let me do things for them once. after all, they have done so much for me already. it's things like that which stress me out. i probably shouldn't complain about the fact that my parents like to be busy and do things for me. i suppose it could be worse.

anyway, i hope everyone enjoyed mother's day. (pictured below is my mom opening her present. she seemed quite ecstatic with the box. and no, it was not a big box of nothing...)



while my dad did some sod-busting, my mom went shopping after lunch to a.c. moore with karen, karen's mother, and karen's grandmother. (my mom bought a box.) so, at least my mom did get to do something nice for herself on mother's day (albeit it was to buy a box).

anyway, happy mother's day mom. i love you.

No comments: