Monday, April 21, 2008

I Still Suck At High Intensity Interval Training

it being patriot's day today... and the boston marathon... and the red sox, i got leave work a little early. my company had lunch for all of its employees and then had a spring cleaning session. so after our spring cleaning of the office, we got to leave. yay!

anyway, because i missed my workout yesterday, i opted to do my high intensity interval training workout today as i had extra time from leaving work early. sadly, i still suck at high intensity interval training.

today, however, i had a partner to run with. my friend (carlos) joined me for the workout. i had mentioned the entire high intensity interval training thing to carlos awhile ago and he seemed quite interested. so, as he also had some extra time from leaving work early, he wanted to try the workout to see what it was like. it was actually quite refreshing to have a partner to do this workout with. ever since my friend (andrea) bailed on me (who by the way came up with the whole idea in the first place), i have been doing the high intensity interval training mainly on my own. (karen has been sporadically training with me, for which i am grateful for because working out alone can sometimes be boring.)

anyway, i ran with carlos as he attempted the hiit. like me, when i first started, he thought four minutes was nothing. needless to say, after the four minutes, he was done. sweat was coming down his forehead. he was gasping for air. so while he caught his breath, i did my workout (as it was considerably more than the four minutes). when i finished, we walked a few laps around the ymca track, recuperating and just talking. it was fun. and similar to me in that he is a glutton for punishment, carlos actually wanted to do more hiit workouts. who would have thought?

No comments: