Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Still Suck At High Intensity Interval Training

this week would have been the beginning of week 5 for my high intensity interval training experiment. unfortunately, i still suck at high intensity interval training.

i normally start the week's workout on sunday. as some of you know, this past sunday was not a particularly good day for me as it involved recovering from a bottle of wine. let this be a lesson, drinking wine to forget about the rough days at work... is never a good thing.

so naturally, i had to begin my workout the next day (which was yesterday). so yesterday, i was not feeling any ill effects from the detoxification. if my mind could speak, it would have said "yeah mike, you're feeling good. you can run that 10 minute workout. no problem." little did i know, my mind knows absolutely nothing.

before i started my workout, an older women walked passed me. she was speed walking or something of that sort. i didn't think much about her, so i started my workout. the first 30 seconds was the light jog. the next 30 seconds, i sprinted past the old woman. at that moment, i felt a slight twinge in my right hamstring muscle. (the hamstring is the large muscle in the back of the leg.) needless to say, i had to pull up lame. in an effort to not totally look ridiculous in front of this older lady whom i did not know, i played it off like it was part of my master plan. so i then jogged for another 30 seconds on my bad leg before sprinting again with the same bad leg.

as my hamstring tightened even more, i then jogged across the street to avoid seeing this old woman on the way back and then hobbled back to where i started. she must have thought i was a nut.

apparently, it seems that my body was still a little dehydrated from the sunday. damn you bottle of wine. so here is another lesson: drink lots of water before running past old ladies. needless to say, my high intensity interval training has been put on hold until my hamstring heals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ouch! i hope you feel better soon.