Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Suck At FlashForward

Last night, Karen and I decided to watch a show that we had recorded on our DVR. To the possible dismay of my friend (Hot Amy), the show was not a public access television show. Nope, the show that Karen and I recorded was ABC's FlashForward.

Now, I suck at Flash Forward. According to my friend, Wikipedia, the show is based on the novel of the same name written by Canadian science fiction writer Robert J. Sawyer.

For anyone curious, the premise of the show is that one day everyone in the world blacks out for 2 minutes 17 seconds. During that black out, each individual experiences a feeling that they flashed forward in time and received a glimpse of the future. From there, it's basically a mystery about why did it happen, how did it happen, who is responsible, will the events in the "flashforward" actually happen, etc.

It's an interesting premise. I thought the first episode was pretty good. I actually got a little chuckle during the show when I noticed a billboard in the background of one of the scenes. The billboard was an advertisement for Oceanic airlines, which is a reference to ABC's well-written show, Lost. (Too bad this is the final season of Lost.)

Speaking of Lost, FlashForward stars Sonya Walger as the wife of the FBI agent in charge of uncovering the mystery between the flashforward. (Sonya Walger is Desmond's constant... Penny.) Also slated to join the cast is Dominic Monaghan, another Lost actor. Dominic Monaghan played Charlie in Lost.

Interestingly enough, the main character of the show (Joseph Fiennes) looks like he could also be a Lost actor. At first, I thought he looked a lot like Nestor Carbonell, the actor who plays Richard on Lost... just without the eyeliner. Needless to say, he's not. Joseph Fiennes, by the way, is better known for his starring role in Shakespeare In Love opposite Gwyneth Paltrow.

All in all, I enjoyed the first episode. I will be curious to see how the show turns out.

3 comments:

Amy said...

But why weren't you watching public access?

Andrea said...

I wanted to watch but too many things are on Thursday nights.

cavalier said...

there's only so much "tasty licking" a person can do. :)

andrea, you need a dvr. tv will be way more fun with it. :)