Sunday, September 20, 2009

I Suck At Building A Ramp

Interestingly enough, Karen and I had no plans on Saturday night.

During the day, Karen got her haircut while I watched. Fun, I know. I actually felt a little nauseated at the hairdressers... probably because 1) I was at the hairdressers; and 2) one of the customers was getting her hair dyed. The smell of the chemicals was harsh. I don't know how women do it. Of course, if it were up to me, I'd probably have all women dye their hair blonde. Shiny! Yay!

Anyway, the reason I was waiting and watching Karen get her hair cut was because we had to pick up her parents at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston. Her parents were coming back from their cruise and needed a ride home. One of the bonuses of picking up her parents was that we got to go out for lunch. (We ended up at the 99 Restaurant in Quincy.)

After lunch, Karen and I were able to watch my nephew (PJ) play his first game of soccer in Hingham. It was interesting. I actually spent most of the time playing with my niece (Kaleigh) because she was bored out of her mind watching PJ play.

Anyway, that was about all the excitement for the day. I spent the rest of the day (and technically part of Friday night) working on building a ramp. Unfortunately, I suck at building a ramp.

(The picture below is the ramp I built.)


My friend (Marc) recently asked if I could build a ramp for one of his cats (Audrey). Audrey is getting old in her age and is starting to show signs of her age by not being able to jump as high as she used to. Consequently, in an effort to help Audrey, Marc asked if I could build a ramp for her.

Naturally, I agreed. If the ramp helps make the cats like me more, so be it. I actually hope Audrey uses the ramp. I have visions that the cats will just hide underneath the ramp. We'll see.

Anyway, it was fun building the ramp. I don't think anyone outside of Karen has ever asked me to build something for them before... so it was nice. And like most things, I find it always easier to work on someone else's project as opposed to my own. (Yes, that first floor bathroom project... is still in demolition mode.) Plus, building the ramp was a good way to reuse a lot of the scrap pieces of wood that I have cluttering my garage. It was a win-win situation.

Needless to say, I got into "work" mode on Saturday. My "work" mode generally consists of my focusing on the task at hand and completing it with due diligence. It is sometimes the reason why I forget to eat lunch and all of that. What can I say? I just get caught up with what I'm doing.

Well... several hours later... the ramp was complete. And now, I can be paranoid and hope that everyone enjoys the finished product.

No comments: