Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Suck At The Last Lecture

Last night, I finished reading an interesting book. Needless to say, this book was a gazillion times better than that dribble about sparkling vampires known as "Twilight".

The book I read was called "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. Now, I suck at the Last Lecture.

The book is about a professor (Randy Pausch) from Carnegie Mellon who has pancreatic cancer... like Patrick Swayze... only without the cool dirty dancing moves... or the ability to rip throats out... Given a few months to live, Randy decides to give what is known as a last lecture (literally).

Apparently, a last lecture is commonplace in the world of academia as professors are asked to consider their own death and lecture about what matters the most to them. In Randy's case, he was determined to give his last lecture so that he could impart some final wisdom to others, as well as leave something for his children to remember him by. (Randy has three children, all of whom are quite young and would probably not remember him when they grow up.)

Needless to say, the book was a quick read and quite touching at times. Without revealing too much, I will just say that the book was very good. I admired Randy's optimism given the unfortunate hand that he was dealt. On a personal level, the book almost gives me hope that I can become equally optimistic following the death of my son (Braden).

Regardless of the unfortunate circumstances, I would definitely recommend the book to anyone just for his life lessons alone. Time is precious and we should make the most out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that book....I read it on the plane to Vegas with tears in my eyes....it was amazing! I think everyone should read it at least once. J9

Andrea said...

I bought my mom the book for mother's day but she already had it, but she encouraged me to keep it and read it. It is in the pile of things to read.