Monday, November 30, 2009

I Suck At Sewing

Today was the ever popular Christmas parade in Quincy. Always the fan of parades, I do my darnedest to not attend.

Truth be told, I have nothing against parades. I think the last parade that I may have enjoyed the most was the St. Patrick's Day parade in Newport, Rhode Island several years ago. Granted, I was quite inebriated for most of the parade, but from what I remember it was a fun experience. As well, I seemed to have won a free t-shirt somehow during that parade... and nothing says fun more than a free t-shirt! Unfortunately, I don't think I will be attending the St. Patrick's Day parade in Newport for a while.

So apparently I just don't like Quincy parades. There's just something about the Quincy parades that scream pure cheese. I don't know if it is because I grew up in Quincy, or if I just hate driving through Quincy when there is a parade, or what. Although, if my friend (Cass) ever did become mayor of Quincy, I actually might want to attend a Quincy parade. Of course, I also might lobby hard that he eliminate parades in Quincy, in addition to getting rid of the oodles upon oodles of red traffic lights.

Regardless, Karen had plans to meet up with our friends (Jen, Kerry, Carlos, and Hot Amy) for the Quincy Christmas parade. Luckily, I had plans with my friends (Marc and Kelley). The ball of stress that I am, I actually considered going to the parade due to Karen's pregnancy. I simply didn't want her to walk that far and tire herself out, nor did I want her lugging around a chair in addition to her bag of snacks while being pregnant. But, she assured me that she would be okay.

So I got to hang out with Marc and Kelley instead which was fun. We basically hung out and watched football. Marc was gracious enough to make jambalaya for lunch. Kelley also made her famous muffins. (Cue Rachael Ray's "Yum-O" sound!)

Following football and the parade, Karen and I had dinner with my parents. As usual, my parents were ecstatic to see me. They were even more excited to have us come over for dinner, which was very delicious and nothing at all like the meal from Imperial Terrace.

Afterwards, my mother decided to give both Karen and I a little quick lesson in sewing. Now, I suck at sewing.

For anyone curious, the reason why the topic of sewing even came up was because Karen needed some maternity pants hemmed. Always one to help out, my mother volunteered to hem the pants for Karen. And naturally, because I am a curious creature, I asked if my mother could also give us a quick lesson in sewing.

My mother actually knows how to sew. In fact, my late uncle knew how to sew. My uncle was a tailor in Hong Kong before he passed away. But from what I was told, my mother and uncle used to sew together.

Anyway, I remember my mother sewing a lot when I was a child. There would be times where I had to thread needles. It was neat.

Now, my mother sews only when the need arises. Many of her friends have asked her to hem pants here and there. Perhaps my mom should open a sewing business. So naturally, I was curious as to what was involved in hemming pants.

Needless to say, my mother gave Karen and I a quick demonstration. She did it very quickly too. There was a seam removed here... a needle stuck here... some scissors cutting here... the sewing machine there... more needles stuck here... stitching here... ironing there... and the next you know... voila! hemmed pant. It was rather interesting. I think I would like to learn this skill some more.