Monday, April 13, 2009

I Suck At The Sound Of Music

today, i stumbled upon a little video that made me smile.

obviously, the video is staged... but the seemingly spontaneity of the entire thing would have been fun to have witnessed live at the train station in belgium.

(the video below is the sound of music video.)


one of the reasons why i enjoyed the video, aside from the fact that i think the video was a brilliant concept, is that it reminded me about my childhood. no, i did not grow up in train station.

growing up, my mother would always watch the movie, the sound of music with my brother and i. now, i suck at the sound of music. nevertheless, i must have seen the movie many times growing up. (for anyone curious, my favorite scene of the movie is when sister margaretta and sister berthe confess to the reverend mother that they have sinned. when mother abbess inquires about the sin, the two nuns look at each other and reveal from their robes the automotive parts that they took from the german cars which allow the von trapp family time to escape. classic.)

anyway, the sound of music movie was practically on every year when i was growing up and i remember the "do-re-mi" song pretty well. i also remember a lot of the other songs too like "the lonely goatherd". needless to say, the video brought back a brief memory about my childhood when things were definitely simpler in my life.

of course, my reminiscing about the past may have been brought on by a surprise visit from my parents today who were in the neighborhood. my mother and father, after visiting my son (braden) in the cemetery stopped by to say hi. my father uncharacteristically gave me a kiss on the cheek after the visit. my parents... not exactly the hugging and kissing type... which is probably where i get my seemingly standoffish appearance (unless i'm inebriated of course). nonetheless, it was a nice sign of affection.

i love my parents.

No comments: