Monday, April 6, 2009

I Suck At Scavenger Hunts

on saturday, the event that i have been planning for the past few months finally came to fruition. that event: the photo scavenger hunt. now i suck at scavenger hunts.

the photo scavenger hunt was the second one that i had planned within the past 2 years. so, it has almost become an annual tradition.

the entire idea started in december of 2007. for anyone curious, my birthday is in december. getting together with friends in the month of december has always been difficult because that time of year is simply hectic. and rather than having the usual celebratory birthday party with some friends, i decided that i wanted my friends to participate in something different... which turned out to be the photo scavenger hunt. so, in january of 2008... exactly one month after my birthday... i had some friends participate in the first photo scavenger hunt.

as everyone seemed to have enjoyed the first scavenger hunt, i decided to organize another one for this year. thus, saturday was the second annual photo scavenger hunt for my birthday.

(pictured below is the winning team from this year's scavenger hunt.)


anyway, one of the nuances for this year's scavenger hunt was my participation. last year, i had simply organized the scavenger hunt and enjoyed the quiet time to myself while everyone else ran around taking pictures. as my friends wanted me to actually participate in the picture taking, i decided to actually play this year.

of course, with my participation in the hunt, i consequently had to think about the fairness of things because i was creating the actual scavenger hunt list. hence, i would know what was on the list before anyone else, not that i really would stock up on items or anything else to help my team in advance. (and in retrospect, there simply are too many items on the list to even remember. so i don't think my knowing of the list beforehand would even help.)

nonetheless, to make things fair... and i'm all about fairness... i decided to have members of the other teams score the pictures from the other teams. that was also one of the nuances for this year's hunt. of course, the problem then became... i needed more than two teams because potentially one team would vote for their own picture and the other team would vote against, in which case there would be a deadlock.

thus, to remedy that potential problem i decided to add additional teams because there would be more "judges" for the scoring. i was actually quite happy with the results. four teams consisting of four members each were able to participate this year in the scavenger hunt (16 people total).

the two teams i added were great. my friend (marc), who was on one of those two teams, definitely went above and beyond for the hunt, for which i am extremely grateful. of course, at the same time, my eyes are burning from seeing the images of marc in all sorts of poses.

as for me, i had a fun time participating in my first photo scavenger hunt. i had been on one of the randomly created teams. unfortunately, the team i was on did not win. i did, after all, say that i suck at scavenger hunts.

anyway, i hope everyone who participated... and everyone else who actually helped out the teams in the scavenger hunt... had a good time and enjoyed themselves. it was definitely stressful at times to organize the scavenger hunt, but i think it was worth it because i think all of my friends had fun... which is all i really cared about. and now that the hunt is over, i can relax again... until next year.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I had a blast as well. I am going to start yoga so next year I might be able to do a handstand, or whatever other gymnastic feat isrequired of me. My had still hurts to touch but I am impressed that my team was able to complete such high point items like the shower scene, the diaper and the dress photo is hysterical.

aimee said...

that was so much fun! i think we were robbed of our points for a few pictures, though. :( thanks for letting me be a part of it!