Thursday, April 30, 2009

I Suck At Frozen Freddies

today started off with a surprise visit from my parents.

my mother was laid off from her work not too long ago. my mother was initially excited because she absolutely disliked her job. nevertheless, she continued working at the company because my parents needed the income. (for anyone curious, my father is disabled and has been for quite some time.)

i'm quite proud of my mother. in addition to raising my brother and i, she has had to endure the hardships of working a non-skilled job for her entire life. unfortunately, being a minority with very little education and fluency in english does not open a lot of opportunities in... the land of opportunities. nevertheless, my mom perservered... making sure my brother and i could live the american dream that she could never have.

needless to say, i love my parents. so when my mother unexpectedly asked to stop by, i knew something was on her mind. as it turned out, my mother was all concerned about... well... her layoff... and how it affects her health insurance. again, with the being of a minority and little education and little fluency in english, she simply did not know what to do about her health insurance, which is a pretty important factor considering that she has a health issue that needs routine medical visits. the feeling of uncertainty had overwhelmed my mother, and she simply broke down and cried.

watching your parents cry is never a good thing. for me, it's one of those things where you want your parents to live happily ever after... but you just don't know what to do because it's beyond your knowledge... and it's frustrating because i would give my parents the world if i could. after all, for all that my parents have sacrificed for my brother and i, it's the least i could do. unfortunately, all i could do today was give my mother a hug.

after collecting herself, my mother decided to visit the hospital where she had her appointment and ask the staff there about her situation. hopefully, things will work out and the hospital staff can help her. aside from c.o.b.r.a, i'm not sure what plan b will be.

needless to say, my day has been a little rough. luckily, i got to spend the rest of the day with my friends (marc and kelley), who almost always can cheer me up... probably because kelley is my drinking buddy and booze always numbs the pain... just kidding. (although... the martini kelley made was quite delicious.)

after picking up karen at the subway station, we picked up dinner at the falafel king in quincy. (cue rachael ray's "yum-o" sound.) the falafel king is great. i love their food. as an added bonus today... the falafel king (or prince) was working. i'm not exactly sure if he is any relation to the falafel king in downtown boston... but when i used to work in town, i would see him working at the falafel king in town. so it was good to see a familiar face again at the falafel king in quincy. and like any falafel royalty is known to do, he gave me a falafel dipped in hummus while i waited for the food to be cooked. yum... falafels!

anyway, while we ate dinner, the four of us watched the latest episode of lost. without spoiling too much, i will just say that the episode was simply awesome. the rumors about how a main character was going to die on the show... was sadly true. unfortunately, that character was not kate...

having finished the episode, the four of us decided to go out for some dessert. so, we decided to go to frozen freddies. now, i suck at frozen freddies. frozen freddies is a seasonal ice cream shop located in quincy. the place is practically a hole in the wall... or on the corner as it may be. the ice cream is pretty good too. i had a chocolate peanut butter thing... (cue rachael ray's "yum-o" sound... again.) i love ice cream. i was practically shivering as i polished off my ice cream cone outside. all in all... with the falafel king and frozen freddies... how can someone not feel better?

from there, we headed back to marc and kelley's to catch a couple of episodes of angel. the episodes we watched were: "hero" about nazi-like pure blooded demons hunting and killing half-breeded demons; and "parting gifts" about cordelia's new found power... the ability to see visions.

it's tough to say which of the two episodes i enjoyed the most. "hero" was great because of doyle, who unfortunately died on the show... and unfortunately the actor who played him passed away in real life as well. and "parting gifts" introduced wesley... rogue demon hunter... to the cast. plus, "parting gits" was a cordelia episode. interestingly enough... cordelia has a "tramp stamp".

speaking of "tramp stamps", the topic of tattoos was brought up. we thought it would be funny to have "tramp" tattooed like a stamp... on the tramp stamp location (the lower back area). that was just a random thought.

anyway, it was an interesting day to say the least. i hope things work out for my parents.