Monday, November 24, 2008

I Suck At Thanksgiving

last night, karen and i had thanksgiving dinner at my parents. yes, i know... thanksgiving is not even here yet. luckily, i suck at thanksgiving.

this year, karen and i are celebrating thanksgiving day at karen's parents' place. my parents were also invited and will be attending as well. this thursday will actually be the first time that both my family and karen's family will be together for a holiday. it definitely makes things easier for karen and i because we won't have to scramble around going from place to place to visit our family, eat turkey... and then eat more turkey... and all that.

because we are celebrating thanksgiving day with karen's family, my parents wanted to have everyone over for dinner beforehand. i suppose you can call it a pre-thanksgiving day dinner. so in addition to karen and myself, my parents invited karen's parents over for the pre-thanksgiving dinner, along with my cousin (betty) and her son (marvin) and my mom's friend (jan).

dinner was very nice. as usual, my parents made way too much food for the nine of us. there was roast beef, turkey, pasta, corn, sweet potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, canned cranberry sauce, rice... etc. there were even a ton of desserts afterwards too like cherry pie, frozen yogurt pie, cranberry/blueberry bread... and apple pie. karen's father made a homemade apple pie... it's very good. i think he makes the best apple pies.

with all the food, it's no wonder why i was an overweight kid growing up. it's weird. i guess i took my parents' cooking for granted when i was growing up. as i look back now... i didn't realize how tasteful their dishes really were. i really should learn how to cook from them before it's too late. i guess it's never too late to learn.

anyway, i had a good time at the pre-thanksgiving day dinner. hopefully everyone else did as well. but it was a nice way to kick off the holiday season. i generally get all sappy and lame during the holidays. in fact, i'm usually a pile of mush by now. sadly, this year has been a little harder to get into the holiday spirit. so we'll see how the rest of the season goes.