Saturday, July 12, 2008

I Suck At Talking Over The Phone

last night, i did something out of the ordinary: i spoke with my bff (kerry) over the phone... apparently for quite some time. now, i suck at talking over the phone. it's not that i have anything against my bff. after all, she wouldn't be a bff otherwise, right? it's just that i very rarely ever have a conversation over the phone with anyone.

growing up, i used to love the phone. i used to call my friend (aimee) all the time... and simply have conversations of pure silence. i'd call many of my other friends as well... whether it was meredith or jeannette or amy (not hot amy)... or whoever. simply put, i was a phone whore.

since those childhood days, however, i have used the phone less and less... and less. in fact, i was one of the few remaining people on the planet who did not have a cell phone until a few years ago. everyone seemingly had a cell phone, but i opted not to get one because i just did not use the phone at all, if ever. the only reason i even ended up with my current cell phone (which i still have) is because karen wanted me to get one so that she could reach me in cases of an emergency.

so needless to say, i have not been a big communicator over the phone. (i'm more of the email/instant messaging type, probably because i like to write... as evident from this blog.) last night, though, was quite fun and refreshing.

last night, kerry had called. in what has become commonplace, neither karen nor kerry are contacted whenever jen and hot amy hang out together. perhaps it's a bff ritual or cougar bonding or something. i don't know. but karen was at work with the car, which left me at home. so, both kerry and i had a lot of free time last night... and we spent it well.

we commiserated over our health... me with my spectacular display of acrobatics in my attempt to do a kip-up... and kerry over her lyme disease. as it turns out, kerry was bitten by a tick while house and dog sitting in lexington. as she did not have any internet access in lexington, kerry asked if i could google lyme disease and all that.

from there, we just started talking about random things... like nick esasky, the former red sox player who had to retire from baseball due to vertigo (which is a symptom of lyme disease if left untreated). we talked about furniture; her move to salem; the fact that jon bon jovi can apparently pull off the tight jeans look; the fact that richie sambora looks bloated now and amazingly was able to score heather locklear and denise richards; etc.

it seemed like we talked about everything. and it was fun. i had a great time talking with my bff. conversing over the phone made me feel like it was the good old days. i don't know why i stopped using the phone. perhaps i should use the phone more often. maybe then my friend's (pam) husband will finally call me on his way home from work.

No comments: