Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Suck At Celebrating My Brother's Birthday

august is turning out to be quite the birthday month... with my mom, my friends (andrea and cass) and now today...

today is my brother's birthday. too bad i suck at celebrating my brother's birthday. happy birthday big brother!

my brother currently lives... where the stars at night are big and bright... deep in the heart of texas... he moved there awhile ago because he had fallen in love with the city of san antonio. unfortunately, living in san antonio is not exactly the same as visiting san antonio as he apparently felt out of place while living there... probably because 1) he's not white... and 2) he's not exactly teeming with masculinity.

although my brother has yet to explicitly come out, he really isn't fooling anyone by referring to his long-term partner as his "roommate"... who he bought a house with in texas. i think it's unfortunate that my brother doesn't feel like he can come out and tell his family. my brother and i are not close anymore, not because of his brooding manhood... in general i think he just has a lot of other issues to work out. i look at karen and my favorite sister-in-law (janine)... my favorite brother-in-law (pj) and his two brothers... my friend (hot amy) and her sister (terri)... etc. as there is a long list of people and their sibling or siblings that i could name... and i sometimes feel envious because i wish my relationship with my brother were like theirs.

instead, my brother and i are a little distant. in fact, karen is probably closer to my brother than i am. growing up, i used to look up to my brother all the time. i thought my brother was the greatest thing since sliced bread. i was like that kid who always wanted to tag along with his big brother. i don't know what happened to change all of that. i'm sure my being the golden child didn't help much for him.

anyway, my brother has since moved to another part of texas near austin. last i heard, he was much happier there than in san antonio. regardless, happy birthday brother! i hope you enjoy your day! and for what it's worth... i still love you big brother.

No comments: