Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Suck At Writing

as far as i can remember (and that's really not saying much), one of my passions has been writing. in fact, writing is partially responsible for my skipping of a grade in elementary school. that and some other things like being good in math... a result of my stereotypical genes, you know.

for anyone curious, i wrote a story in elementary school about the school principal being a vampire and attacking children. i'm sure if any child were to write something similar now in grade school, that child would probably be suspended for terrorist activities. either that, or the principal would be suspected of unlawful conduct. nonetheless, the story was a result of my creative imagination... and years and years of exposure to television. plus, the story was amusing enough to my teacher that she had me promoted. yay!

i would later continue my creative writing in high school when i wrote another silly story about a vacation that my friends and i took in high school. the story was very loosely based on our trip to loon mountain in new hampshire. as well, the story was loosely based on the television show 90210... and of course, vampires. it was a great combination, i know.

since that time, i have written a few other things... all of the stories have been equally silly: a teeny-bopper flick about track and field; a campy horror flick set in the corporate world (when i worked at state street bank in quincy); and an unfinished work containing some of my friends. i started writing the latest script months before i went to ireland and have just never got around to revisiting it.

there's probably a bunch of other works that i have forgotten as well. needless to say, i enjoy writing. unfortunately, i suck at writing. but writing has always been just an outlet for me and i really have not written much... blog aside.

that said, ever since i read an article about joss whedon, the creator of the greatest show ever on television: buffy the vampire slayer, wanting to create an online series, i actually started to feel those creative juices going again. i don't know how long my interest will last because like most things these days since my son (braden) passed away, my moods can change on a dime.

i kept thinking in my head... about how great it would be to create an online series with my friends. in my mind, the problem has always been 1) writing a script and 2) convincing friends to partake in the experiment. to be honest, i don't even care if people outside of my friends even want to watch the online series. i just think it would be a fun experiment to do.

anyway, even if i were to convince my friends to partake in the experiment, i would still need a script. i had no ideas about what to write about... until friday. so, last night in the wee hours of night, i cranked out a 3 page script... something quick and easy like in the image of the lost missing pieces videos: short and brief scenes that still leave viewers wanting more. in essence... an episode of an online series.

and without further adieu, i present my experiment. i don't even know if i even like the concept of what i wrote yet. but i guess we'll see if it's even worth continuing. for simplicity's sake, i'm just going to cut and paste the script, so formatting will look off. i hope you enjoy it.

No comments: