Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Suck At Writing An Episode

(i suck at writing an episode...)

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM

CLOSE UP on KAREN’S blue eyes. Her pupils dilate and she immediately jumps out of bed.

MIKE rushes to her bedside, calming her down.

MIKE
Whoa. Take it easy. The doctor said you have to get some rest. Feeling better?

KAREN
Yes. How is Marc and Kelley?

MIKE
Concerned. You had them worried when you passed out.

Karen embraces Mike with a hug. As they hug, she looks up at the television in corner of the room. A reporter from the local news station recounts a story about the evacuation of a convention center. Video clips of people scrambling for safety and HAZMAT workers are shown.

KAREN
It’s never a dull moment with us.

Mike turns to watch the news report.

MIKE
I’ll say. Just so you know, Marc and Kelley feel awful for asking us to go with them in the first place.

KAREN
They didn’t know I would pass out.

MIKE
Oh I know. I tried telling them. Plus, how many comic book conventions have you heard of getting evacuated for a HAZMAT crew? I’m guessing none.

KAREN
And how many comic book conventions have I been to that I would know?

MIKE
Does your fainting spell in the middle of the convention floor actually count as one?

Karen pushes Mike away and hits him in the shoulder.

MIKE
Okay, none.

The news shows a clip of a Karen, on a gurney, being wheeled into an ambulance.

MIKE
Hey look! You’re famous.

KAREN
Great. I’m so embarrassed.

MIKE
If it helps, you weren’t the only one who passed out. There were lots of other people that Marc, Kelley, and I saw just plop to the ground.

KAREN
So did they say what the problem was?

Mike shrugs.

MIKE
The news is reporting it as bad air quality.

KAREN
But you, Marc and Kelley are okay?

MIKE
As far as I know. The doctors cleared us. We’re fit as a fiddle.

KAREN
That’s a relief.

Disinterested in the news broadcast, Mike grabs the remote to the television.

MIKE
Are you tired of watching this yet? I know I am.

Karen sighs.

KAREN
You never want to watch what I want to watch. Fine go ahead.

Mike flips the channel. Suspenseful music is played on the television. Karen immediately quivers.

KAREN
Scary music! Scary music! Change the station!

MIKE
What? We don’t even know what show it is yet.

Karen quickly covers her eyes in fright.

KAREN
Just change it! Please?!?

Mike rolls his eyes. With the remote in hand, he grins at Karen. Mike looks up at the television, aims the remote, and changes the channel.

MIKE
Happy?

Mike turns back to see a completely empty hospital bed where Karen once was. A startled and confused look forms on Mike’s face.

MIKE
Karen?!? Whoa...

2 comments:

Kerry said...

can't wait until the vampires show up! By the way, I still have a copy of your 90210 screenplay :)

Anonymous said...

Damn! Kerry beat me to the comment. I was going to ask if a vampire showed up and stole Karen away.

Great minds think alike Kerry.