Sunday, December 20, 2009

I Suck At Celebrating My Birthday

Yesterday, I had the distinct pleasure of turning another year older. Yep, it was my birthday. Interestingly enough, not only was it my birthday, it was my father's birthday, my former co-worker's (Kristen) birthday, and my friend's (Hot Amy) father's birthday. Happy birthday dad, Kristen, and Hot Amy's dad! I hope all of you guys enjoyed your day.

Unfortunately, I suck at celebrating my birthday. After all, it's not every day someone can get a snow storm for their birthday. A snow storm was just what I always wanted. Yay me!

With the upcoming snow storm, Karen and I started the day taking my father out for his birthday. My father reached the impressive milestone of the big 7-0. For his birthday, he wanted to go out for dim sum at the China Pearl located in Quincy.

We met my father, my mother, and my mother's friend (Jane) at China Pearl. It was interesting because my father, my mother, and Jane were running a little late. So Karen and I were seated by ourselves for quite some time. We must have looked like fishes out of water, especially since Karen did not know what the dishes were that were coming around... and neither did I. (I only know the staples of dim sum: har gow and shumai... and maybe cha siu baau.)

Needless to say, Karen and I had some of the staples of dim sum while waiting for my family. Eventually my family arrived. My father seemed quite excited about dim sum. My mother and Jane were equally excited, especially when they realized that they could get one of those large red calendars with the Chinese Zodiac on them. It's the little things that make them happy.

My father even started a conversation with a former owner of the China Pearl as we were leaving. The former owner happened to be the father of one of my friends (Amy) while growing up. Amy, not to be confused with Hot Amy, Amy the Czar, or Aimee, was someone who I knew since elementary school. Amy was always rather smart. She would probably be the first to tell you so as well. Amy and I attended elementary school, middle school, and high school together.

In high school, she was quite the sprinter. It was quite funny to see Amy run, not because she had flat feet, but because she was tiny. She was like the stereotypical Asian: short and really fast. (Quite possibly, Amy could have been a stereotypical bad driver too, but I don't remember ever being in her car. So I can't comment on her driving skills.) My track coach used to joke saying that if I and Amy got together, we would have very fast hurdling children.

Anyway, the only reason why I even brought up Amy was because my father seemed excited to speak with her dad. I think my father, in general, had a great time celebrating his birthday. For me, that was all that mattered. I love you, dad. I'm happy that you could enjoy your day.

Shortly after China Pearl, Karen and I went to the Halfway Cafe located in Holbrook. Originally, my BFF (Kerry) and my friends (Jen and Andrea) had plans to visit New York City this weekend. With the coming snow storm, however, the plans were canceled and they decided to go out for dinner instead.

The Halfway Cafe was selected because Kerry generally enjoys the place. Plus, she received a coupon from the Halfway Cafe where the birthday girl/boy can receive a free meal so long as the date is within five days of the birthday. As Kerry's birthday and my birthday can overlap within that range, it only made sense to go to the Halfway Cafe in an effort to kill two birds with one stone.

Joining Kerry, Jen, Andrea, Karen and I were my friends (Marc and Kelley) as well as Andrea's sister (Sarah) who joined us for a few drinks. Needless to say, it was a fun time to hang out with everyone. The Halfway Cafe even had a brief moment where the local firefighters joined in on the celebration. (The fire alarm in the restaurant had gone off.) Speaking of fire fighting, I sadly am over the age limit to be a firefighter now.

Anyway, we had a lot of laughs especially with the upcoming snow storm. Despite the Halfway Cafe incident, I think Kerry enjoyed the celebration. And by incident, I don't mean the firefighters. It turns out that the Halfway Cafe only honors one birthday meal within a given party. So, Kerry and I will never be able to celebrate our birthdays together at the Halfway Cafe... or if we do, only one of us will receive our meal for free. Like the Highlander quote: there can only be one!

In my opinion, I think that is a terrible policy. After all, under that policy I will never be able to celebrate my birthday with my father... or Kristen... or Hot Amy's father at the Halfway Cafe. I think it's a shame. (For anyone curious, I believe the Abington Alehouse has the same policy because my father and I tried to celebrate our birthdays their once. Speaking of the Abington Alehouse, this was the first year in some time that I did not go there for my birthday. I generally enjoy going to the Abington Alehouse for my birthday. Their food is quite delicious.)

Regardless, after dinner, all of us (except Sarah) headed back to Marc and Kelley's for a post-birthday celebration. Andrea was gracious enough to bake a cake for Kerry and I. The cake was a cookie monster cake, which was very good. Amid the cake eating, we watched "Olive the Other Reindeer". (For anyone curious, "Olive the Other Reindeer" was pretty good.) Interestingly enough, the cake turned our mouths blue, which was funny.

All in all, yesterday was a great day. I got to spend the day with my parents and my friends. So thank you everyone for making the day so enjoyable!

6 comments:

aimee said...

i didn't know you and your dad had the same birthday! i'm glad you had a good one.

cavalier said...

thanks! yep, my dad's birthday is like one of those ancient chinese secrets.

oakleyses said...

ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, air max, true religion jeans, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, air max, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, coach purses, louboutin, nike free, prada handbags, gucci outlet, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

oakleyses said...

hollister, lululemon outlet online, true religion outlet, louis vuitton, nike trainers, sac louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, sac longchamp, polo lacoste, longchamp, timberland, air max, north face, nike air max, michael kors pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, air force, nike tn, nike free pas cher, sac hermes, air max, louis vuitton uk, nike roshe, nike roshe run, michael kors, nike free, mulberry, new balance pas cher, sac guess, air jordan, ray ban pas cher, louboutin, nike blazer, barbour, hollister, oakley pas cher, north face, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, polo ralph lauren, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, sac burberry, converse pas cher, michael kors, ray ban sunglasses, nike huarache, hogan outlet

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, nike roshe run, marc jacobs, canada goose jackets, new balance shoes, vans shoes, wedding dresses, ugg, insanity workout, lululemon outlet, ferragamo shoes, babyliss pro, abercrombie and fitch, beats by dre, instyler, ugg boots, hollister, mcm handbags, celine handbags, rolex watches, jimmy choo outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, north face outlet, herve leger, canada goose, nfl jerseys, chi flat iron, ugg pas cher, ghd, giuseppe zanotti, reebok outlet, ugg australia, asics running shoes, longchamp, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, ugg boots clearance, uggs, mont blanc, north face jackets, canada goose, mac cosmetics, p90x, valentino shoes, uggs outlet, canada goose, bottega veneta

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, air max, converse shoes, thomas sabo, iphone 6 cases, rolex watches, hollister, moncler, hollister clothing store, swarovski, canada goose, montre homme, gucci, supra shoes, moncler, canada goose, pandora charms, toms shoes, moncler, parajumpers, baseball bats, timberland boots, ray ban, links of london, moncler, oakley, swarovski crystal, vans, lancel, air max, coach outlet store online, moncler, moncler outlet, ugg, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose uk, pandora jewelry, louboutin, hollister, karen millen, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet