Friday, June 5, 2009

I Suck At Work

it almost seems fitting that i would have a bad day at work today. after all, i suck at work lately. interestingly enough, it was exactly one year ago today that i left my previous employer in downtown boston... after working for them for over five years.

it's amazing how quickly time flies. in addition to my leaving on this date last year, i was passed out in the backseat of a cab last year... probably with my own vomit all over me... an unfortunate side effect of imbibing too much scotch in a short amount of time. i wish i could say it was a good time... but i can't even remember it. i have since learned my lesson: drink at home... just kidding.

as much as i suck at work right now, i actually do enjoy my current employer. i'm actually liking my employer more right now because the scheduled project launch over this weekend has been postponed. so i can actually have a little weekend.

anyway, amid all the hectic craziness recently at work... i have been listening to a particular song over and over again. this is what i sometimes do while i am working... i'll play songs on a repeated loop. as i get into full work mode (and by work mode, i mean i start hitting some keys on my keyboard), i barely even notice the song repeating... over and over again.

(the video is the song that i have been playing over and over again.)


for some reason, this particular version of the song brings a smile to my face. as i sit here on a friday night... apparently with no life... i started to think about something my friend (aimee) said today. aimee joked about how i was trying to recapture the past. of course, she was simply joking about my new found interest in teeny-bopper music like the new kids on the block... and now recently hannah montana... and i guess you can add the cast of glee to that too.

nevertheless, i wonder if aimee was onto something. perhaps i am trying to recapture the past with things like "glee" and "hannah montana"... things that are set in high school, which for me is a long time ago. maybe it is the reason why i started to think about things from last year like my imbibing incident. quite simply: things were so much easier back in the past.

i didn't have to think about awful things like my son's (braden) passing or anything like that. i don't know. maybe aimee is right. either that, or it is a midlife crisis... much like how my friend (garv) recently got a new motorcycle.

No comments: