Monday, June 29, 2009

I Suck At The Birthday Cookout I Always Wanted

on saturday, karen and i were invited by my (bff) to attend her cookout in salem. kerry's cookout was termed "the birthday cookout i (kerry) always wanted".

for anyone curious, kerry's birthday is in december. in fact, a few of my friends (including myself) have birthdays in the month of december. obviously (with winter and all), december is not exactly known as prime grilling season. hence, kerry devised the "the birthday cookout i always wanted".

now, i suck at the birthday cookout i always wanted. i'm sure none of my friends would disagree with that fact after the ride up to salem. karen and i, as well as my friends (marc and kelley) were able to hitch a ride with my friend (andrea).

seeing as how i am a frequenter of the salem area (thanks to working for a company in the nearby town of marblehead), everyone decided to have me sit up front as andrea's navigator and co-pilot on the ride up. big mistake for them!

the ride up would not have been so bad if i were not distracted by a certain electronic gadget known as andrea's ipod. for anyone curious, andrea's ipod is chock full of 80s tunes... and i'm a sucker for 80s tunes. needless to say, i seemed to have missed a few exits and turns while scrolling through andrea's list of songs on her ipod.

eventually, the five of us reached kerry's. we were the first ones to arrive at the birthday cookout that kerry always wanted. and thus, that is where my memory soon started to fade... a result of my friend, boozy... and kelley. (mental note: eat something before imbibing.)

from what i remember, the cookout was good. i do remember that the night ended with a certain game being played... that game being "flip cup". i felt i had to represent the older people at the party... taking on kerry's youngster cousin (melissa) and her friend (jessica).

aside from that, i have bits and pieces of other memories. i remember attempting to trade wally back to my friend (hot amy) for karen's stuffed pig. for some reason, i think hot amy declined... yet again. i get the feeling that hot amy doesn't really want wally back. (insert "poor wally".) oh well.

anyway, i hope kerry enjoyed the birthday cookout that she always wanted. it was good.

No comments: