Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Suck At Working On The House

for anyone who is curious... karen loves the television show, the golden girls. that show... and probably the cosby show... are possibly her favorite shows of all time. i suppose you could say that the golden girls are to her, what buffy the vampire slayer is to me.

what generally happens during most of our days is that karen will come home from work and unwind for a little while before going to bed. she will either watch the cosby show on the tvland station before going to bed, or she will watch a few episodes of the golden girls complements of the fios dvr.

as it turns out, she actually did both tonight. while she was watching the cosby show in bed tonight, i decided to write a post or two for my blog. in fact, this is generally when i have time to do other things... like work on a website for my favorite sister-in-law (janine) or take out the garbage or whatever. it's not like i dislike watching the cosby show or anything. i just feel like i can be more productive doing other things. plus, to quote my favorite niece (kaleigh)... "i'm not tired".

actually, one of the reasons why i am still awake now is because i am somewhat afraid to go to bed tonight. by afraid, i don't mean i have some type of phobia or anything. i'm actually just a little anal because i did not want to get my pillow case dirty with blood. for you see... i suck at working on the house.

before karen went to bed to watch the cosby show, she decided to watch a couple of episodes of the golden girls... complements of the verizon fios dvr. the golden girls is on all throughout the day... so there are always at least a handful of episodes recorded daily by the dvr.

anyway, while she was watching the golden girls, i decided to finish one of my projects around the house. the project involved adding sheets of plywood to our attic. the sheets of wood would function as a platform, or floor, whereby we could store things... like rubbermaid containers of clothes... or christmas ornaments... or even our fake christmas tree. without the plywood, there would just be the wood joists in the attic... and well... storing anything on a joist would not be good... particularly because if something happened, the weight of the item could cause it to go through your ceiling. (i actually slipped on the joist and stepped through our ceiling once when our house was just one floor... it wasn't pretty.)

regardless, there already existed one sheet of plywood in the attic which was done by the contractors who added our second floor addition. it turns out, that one sheet of plywood was not enough for our storage needs. so, with the additional area in the attic, we decided to add more sheets of plywood on top of the joists. as i had already added the additional sheets of plywood earlier, all i would have to do while karen was watching the golden girls was to attach the plywood to the joists.

so with a corded drill that my favorite brother-in-law (pj) lent me (because my cordless drill battery had died... completely), i climbed into the attic and started screwing the plywood to the joists. everything went fine until i was trying to attach a sheet of plywood near the edge of the roof. the angle of where the roof meets the joist creates a very tight spot. to get near the edge of the roof, i had to actually crawl face first toward the edge.

lying on my stomach near the edge of the roof, i looked to see if it was even worth attempting to attach screws to that side of the plywood sheet. it wasn't. i did not think there was going to be enough room to maneuver the drill anyway. so i shuffled backwards to what i thought was far enough and then sat up. thump!

i've hit my head numerous times. the number of times that i have hit my head sort of explains why i am the way i am, i guess. sadly, i knew this time was a little different. i felt the warm feel of blood on the top of my head... a result of hitting my head on a roofing nail that penetrated the shingles... and the roof. just to be sure, i even touched the top of my head only to see blood on my finger tips.

needless to say, i muttered "this is not good" under my breath. although i can't really see the wound, karen tells me the gash looks pretty good. perhaps i can try to impress people now and say i received it in a bar fight. karen did her best to clean the wound up for me because i could not see it.

so anyway, with the newly created gash on my head, i was afraid to go to bed and get my pillow case all covered in blood. plus, i may be somewhat paranoid now with the whole natasha richardson story about how her skiing accident led to her death. i figured i would wait a couple of hours to see if i get any headaches or whatnot as a result of my little accident. i don't know. perhaps i am paranoid. i may have to learn to sleep on my stomach tonight. we'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and i both had the same paranoid thought about natasha richardson....i opened my trunk the other day and leaned in to take out some packages, and the trunk fell right on my head. it didn't draw blood, but it hurt and now i have a bump there. but for the next two days i was afraid that what seemed like a minor injury would turn into something worse. :(

Anonymous said...

Ouch Mike! I think you will be ok, and I am happy to cover for you and say you saved me from creepy Russian guy at the Brew House. I love the Golden Girls too! I think to think my personality reflects a bit of each of them.

oakleyses said...

air max, converse pas cher, north face, mulberry, polo ralph lauren, hollister, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, nike tn, hollister, sac louis vuitton, air max pas cher, longchamp, air jordan, north face, nike free pas cher, nike roshe, polo lacoste, hogan outlet, louboutin, nike trainers, sac longchamp, new balance pas cher, michael kors, timberland, nike blazer, michael kors, oakley pas cher, nike roshe run, lululemon outlet online, air force, louis vuitton, barbour, sac guess, sac louis vuitton, true religion outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike huarache, nike air max, louis vuitton uk, sac burberry, ray ban pas cher, sac hermes, nike free, michael kors pas cher, air max, ralph lauren