Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Still Suck At Chauffeuring

in terms of driving, tonight has been a weird night. that doesn't bode well for me because i still suck at chauffeuring. after all, tonight is my usual night to pick up karen and my friend (hot amy) from simmons college and chauffeur their sorry bums home. i like to refer to karen and hot amy as miss daisies.

anyway, i should have known it was going to be a weird night with the traffic i encountered on my way in to simmons college. when it comes to punctuality, i am generally early for things. like most wednesdays, i give myself a considerable amount of time when picking karen and hot amy up at simmons college.

for some reason, there was stop and go traffic on my way in to tonight. there usually isn't that much traffic heading into town on a wednesday night. had my favorite brother-in-law (pj) been with me, he probably would have gone insane with the traffic. pj is not a big fan of traffic.

needless to say, the traffic actually made me a little late. with the pedal to the metal, i managed to get to simmons college... two minutes over. sure, two minutes over is not really that late, but it's just late enough to annoy me because i am generally early and punctual.

interestingly enough, my tardiness was not even the strangest thing about my drive tonight. tonight, i caught the tail end of a biker getting hit by a car.

on my way to simmons college, i drove by the police station that is near the ruggles subway station. the ruggles station is not too far from northeastern university... my almost alma mater... had i enough money to continue paying the tuition. there is actually an intersection with a set of lights near ruggles station that allows buses to exit the station.

anyway, i was patiently waiting for the light to turn green at that intersection. distracted by my tardiness due to the traffic on the way in, i glanced over at the time display on the car stereo. the next thing i hear is a loud crash.

looking out my window, i see a bike rider kneeling on the ground. the actual bike is smashed and on the ground. jumping out of the black car that hit the biker... a police officer in uniform. the black car was apparently an unmarked police car.

as i watched the aftermath unfold, i saw the biker just kneeling on the ground holding his back. and then after a very long delay, he started crying in pain. it was as though the shock finally wore off and he realized that he had just gotten hit by a car.

the biker's reaction almost reminded me of the time karen was reaching for a canned good stored high up in one of our kitchen cabinets. with the canned good in her hand, karen apparently had a phalanges malfunction and the canned good caught karen on the chin. stunned for a prolonged moment, karen soon started to cry uncontrollably.

obviously, the biker's situation is a lot more dire and tragic. i just think it's amazing how the body functions with the whole delay of pain thing. needless to say, i hope all is well with the biker. he seemed okay, aside from the tears of course. thankfully, the car was not going faster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i saw a biker get hit by a car once. the car hit him, and then he flew up into the air and flipped before falling to the ground. it was so surreal, like it happened in slow motion. then the guy who hit him ran out of his car and started freaking out, running in circles like a crazy person and screaming for someone to call the police. that part was kind of comical.