Monday, January 18, 2010

I Suck At Visiting The Parents

Yesterday, Karen and I were invited to Sunday dinner by Karen's parents. Unfortunately, I suck at visiting the parents.

Dinner was very good. Karen's parents made pork with a whole slew of side dishes ranging from roasted potatoes, to peas, to corn, to carrots, to apple sauce. All in all, everything was delicious. The roasted potatoes were very good... perhaps not as good as my friend's (Andrea), but good nonetheless.

Also attending Sunday dinner were my favorite sister-in-law (Janine) and her family (PJ, PJ and Kaleigh). So it was pretty much a family get-together. It was nice.

Interestingly enough, my nephew (PJ) asked the same question that I have always wanted to know the answer to in regards to Karen's family and their version of Sunday dinner. That question: why is it called "dinner" when we usually eat around one o'clock? Shouldn't the meal be considered "lunch"?

Sadly, the answer given to PJ was because the day of the week happened to be Sunday. Personally, I still think "Sunday dinner" within Karen's family makes no logical sense. To me, it's like the following analogy: My name is Mike 364 days of the year, but on December 19th, my name is King. I'm sure there must be some logical explanation for "Sunday dinner" at one in the afternoon outside of it being the day of the week.

Regardless, "dinner" with Karen and her family was fun. Dessert probably would have been great too had Karen's mother not dropped the apple pie on the floor the night before. Just kidding. As odd as this sounds, I can see some humor in the incident because I can picture Karen reacting the same way that her mother did... practically in tears... had she done something similar.

Following dinner, Karen and I took a brief jaunt over to visit my parents. We didn't stay long though. We did, however, manage to stay long enough for my mom to pawn off some home made hummus to us. (This is what my mother does. She always tries to give Karen and I stuff...) The hummus was made courtesy of her neighbor. (For anyone curious, the hummus is very good.)

After the whirlwind tour of visiting both sets of parents, Karen and I returned home whereby I worked some more on our first floor bathroom. To be specific, I finished insulating part of the subfloor that was not over our crawlspace. So hopefully, part of that bathroom will feel warmer now.

Last night was also the first time I ever used Great Stuff, which is a spray foam insulation for cracks. (No, I did not use that on the subfloor.) I used the Great Stuff around the window in the bathroom. As it was my first time, I may have used a little too much of it at one time. The insulation was simply overflowing from all around the window. It looked like there was a foam explosion. (I'll have to work on using the Great Stuff better. Luckily, I can remove all the excess foam.)

When I had enough of working on the house, I finally joined Karen on the couch. Karen was watching the Bring It On marathon on ABC Family. Always the fan of cheerleading movies, I decided to watch the fifth installment of the series: Brint It On: Fight to the Finish.

(The video below is a trailer for Bring It On: Fight to the Finish.)


I had no idea there were five installments of the series. Who knew cheerleading movies were such a big draw? Needless to say, this movie... not that good. Of course, I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

After all, the biggest name in the movie was probably David Starzyk, the guy in that credit card commercial who, after seeing his wife in a dress, says that they could use their credit card points for all of this other stuff... only to find out that his wife already used the points for that new dress. (I dislike that commercial... so it only makes sense that I disliked the fifth installment of Bring It On.)

Regardless of the movie, it was good to relax and spend some time with Karen.

4 comments:

Amy said...

My family calls it "dinner" too. I just looked it up on Wikipedia: "Dinner is the name of the main meal of the day. Depending upon region and/or social class, it may be the second or third meal of the day.[1] Originally, it referred to the first meal of the day, eaten about noon, and is still occasionally used in this fashion if it refers to a large or main meal."

I think "supper" is more likely to refer to the evening meal.

oakleyses said...

ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, air max, true religion jeans, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, air max, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, coach purses, louboutin, nike free, prada handbags, gucci outlet, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

oakleyses said...

hollister, lululemon outlet online, true religion outlet, louis vuitton, nike trainers, sac louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, sac longchamp, polo lacoste, longchamp, timberland, air max, north face, nike air max, michael kors pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, air force, nike tn, nike free pas cher, sac hermes, air max, louis vuitton uk, nike roshe, nike roshe run, michael kors, nike free, mulberry, new balance pas cher, sac guess, air jordan, ray ban pas cher, louboutin, nike blazer, barbour, hollister, oakley pas cher, north face, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, polo ralph lauren, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, sac burberry, converse pas cher, michael kors, ray ban sunglasses, nike huarache, hogan outlet

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, nike roshe run, marc jacobs, canada goose jackets, new balance shoes, vans shoes, wedding dresses, ugg, insanity workout, lululemon outlet, ferragamo shoes, babyliss pro, abercrombie and fitch, beats by dre, instyler, ugg boots, hollister, mcm handbags, celine handbags, rolex watches, jimmy choo outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, north face outlet, herve leger, canada goose, nfl jerseys, chi flat iron, ugg pas cher, ghd, giuseppe zanotti, reebok outlet, ugg australia, asics running shoes, longchamp, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, ugg boots clearance, uggs, mont blanc, north face jackets, canada goose, mac cosmetics, p90x, valentino shoes, uggs outlet, canada goose, bottega veneta