Monday, January 4, 2010

I Suck At Shoveling

With the never-ending snow, this past weekend was very uneventful. In fact, I spent much of Saturday and Sunday shoveling snow. Too bad I suck at shoveling.

When I was not shoveling, I spent my entire time home-bound. Unable to go anywhere with the snow (even after shoveling a couple of times), Karen and I decided to just stay at home and watch some movies.

The movies we watched: the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy... the extended DVD version. Nothing quite passes the time like an extended version of a movie... or three. I had received the extended version of the trilogy as a present a few years ago. I had never watched them... until now. In fact, I was somewhat inspired to watch them because TNT was airing the Lord of the Rings trilogy on consecutive nights during the weekend.

Needless to say, I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In my opinion, the Lord of the Rings is the best movie trilogy ever. That may be my inner geek talking, but it's true. After all, what other trilogy can provide wisdom like the following:

"Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again."
"I wish it need not have have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Too bad the Bible was not based on the Lord of the Rings. That would be cool... and probably blasphemous. Frodo 3:16!

Regardless, the extended DVD versions of the movies were great. Even though the extended versions made each movie so much longer (each movie is broken into two discs), I think it provides the viewers a more complete journey. Needless to say, I loved every minute of it. I would watch it again right now if I could.

I suppose the only good thing that even came out of my shoveling of snow was that I got to meet the new neighbors across the street. My neighbors apparently just moved into their new house on Wednesday. And interestingly enough, they were waiting for their furniture to arrive during the snow storm.

I just happened to be shoveling when my neighbors (Jeff and Corey) came over to introduce themselves. Jeff's girlfriend also lives across the street, but I did not get to meet her. All three of them are originally from Scituate.

To be honest, I am slightly jealous of Jeff. Jeff is 24 and part of a family business located in Scituate. He is actually very nice.

The reason as to my jealousy is because he accomplished at 24 what I did at 27: he purchased a house. Unbeknownest to many, I had always dreamed of purchasing my own home ever since I was little. My dreams were not a result of any bad relations with my parents or anything like that. Quite the contrary. I love my parents.

My parents, in their attempts to Americanize my brother and I by doing all things American, instilled in me some portions of the American dream. For me, that meant buying a house. From my first job out of college I began saving for a house. Eventually, I was able to save enough on my own for a down payment on a house. And luckily for me, I married someone like Karen who is equally good at saving money.

Regardless, I think it is rather remarkable for a 24 year old to buy a house. I just hope they don't party too much... those young whipper-snappers. Just kidding.

4 comments:

oakleyses said...

ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, air max, true religion jeans, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, air max, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, coach purses, louboutin, nike free, prada handbags, gucci outlet, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

oakleyses said...

hollister, lululemon outlet online, true religion outlet, louis vuitton, nike trainers, sac louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, sac longchamp, polo lacoste, longchamp, timberland, air max, north face, nike air max, michael kors pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, air force, nike tn, nike free pas cher, sac hermes, air max, louis vuitton uk, nike roshe, nike roshe run, michael kors, nike free, mulberry, new balance pas cher, sac guess, air jordan, ray ban pas cher, louboutin, nike blazer, barbour, hollister, oakley pas cher, north face, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, vanessa bruno, polo ralph lauren, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, sac burberry, converse pas cher, michael kors, ray ban sunglasses, nike huarache, hogan outlet

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, nike roshe run, marc jacobs, canada goose jackets, new balance shoes, vans shoes, wedding dresses, ugg, insanity workout, lululemon outlet, ferragamo shoes, babyliss pro, abercrombie and fitch, beats by dre, instyler, ugg boots, hollister, mcm handbags, celine handbags, rolex watches, jimmy choo outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, north face outlet, herve leger, canada goose, nfl jerseys, chi flat iron, ugg pas cher, ghd, giuseppe zanotti, reebok outlet, ugg australia, asics running shoes, longchamp, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, ugg boots clearance, uggs, mont blanc, north face jackets, canada goose, mac cosmetics, p90x, valentino shoes, uggs outlet, canada goose, bottega veneta

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, air max, converse shoes, thomas sabo, iphone 6 cases, rolex watches, hollister, moncler, hollister clothing store, swarovski, canada goose, montre homme, gucci, supra shoes, moncler, canada goose, pandora charms, toms shoes, moncler, parajumpers, baseball bats, timberland boots, ray ban, links of london, moncler, oakley, swarovski crystal, vans, lancel, air max, coach outlet store online, moncler, moncler outlet, ugg, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose uk, pandora jewelry, louboutin, hollister, karen millen, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet