Sunday, December 25, 2011

I Suck At Christmas Eve

I suck at Christmas Eve. For a while, Karen and I have been hosting Christmas Eve dinner. Our family is pretty small. So the guests that usually attend are my parents and Karen's parents. My friends (Marc and Kelley) generally stop by later after dinner. And as a running joke, my BFF (Kerry) always says she will try to stop on by but never does. This year, she did not even bother saying she will try to stop on by.

Anyway, this year I had the enviable task of cooking the entire dinner. In addition to being pregnant, Karen has been sick for what seems like forever with this awful sounding cough. I think it has been over two weeks now, and she is still coughing like crazy. So rather than have her stress about Christmas Eve dinner, I decided to have her stress over my cooking of Christmas Eve dinner all by myself.

On the menu for the night was ham, green beans, rice pilaf, and rolls. Karen's parents were bringing meatballs. Truth be told, the menu was nothing fancy. I was particularly excited to cook the ham because I wanted to try a new mustard glaze. (For anyone curious, the glaze was okay. I thought it tasted okay.) That reminds me, I now have to figure out what to do with the glaze packet that actually came with the ham. Can the glaze be used for something else?

In the event anyone is curious as to why I just did not use the glaze packet that came with the ham, I like to experiment with things... and I like to control the ingredients of what I eat when I can. In particular, I like limiting the amount of high fructose corn syrup that I eat (and the glaze had high fructose corn syrup). I'm not totally against high fructose corn syrup. I try to avoid ingredients that I think are synthetic when I can.

After all, I believe that some of our current health issues are a result of what we have done to our own food supply. You read about girls getting their menstrual cycle at very earlier ages now. As well, there seems to be a lot of people that I know who have developed gluten allergies, something that seemed so uncommon in the past. While I can't prove that some of these things are due to the hormones and other synthetic things we have developed to improve food, I like to think that there may at least be some correlation. Hence, I like to limit the amount of things like high fructose corn syrup.

Regardless, I think Christmas Eve dinner went well. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal. My parents, in particular, definitely enjoyed seeing our twenty one month old daughter (Briana). Briana was simply wound up. She ran around the house, laughing of course, like there was no tomorrow.

When she eventually crashed and went to bed, my parents and Karen's parents left... in like a span of minutes. It was funny because it was pretty much like our parents only came to see Briana (and not Karen and I). Once that entertainment was over, it was time to go. I guess that's the life of a parent these days.

But that was okay. It gave Karen and I some time to relax a little. And if anyone is curious, when Marc and Kelley arrived we just hung out and unfortunately ended up watching an episode of "Swamp People" because nothing else was on television. "Swamp People" is one bizarre show. The show aside, it was just good to just hang out with Marc and Kelley.

All in all, it was a good night.

3 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

montre homme, air max, juicy couture outlet, moncler, iphone 6 cases, hollister, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, air max, moncler, vans, swarovski, moncler, parajumpers, timberland boots, rolex watches, oakley, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, lancel, wedding dresses, moncler, baseball bats, louis vuitton, toms shoes, converse, converse shoes, louboutin, canada goose, canada goose, supra shoes, hollister, ugg, karen millen, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, gucci, moncler, coach outlet store online, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ray ban

oakleyses said...

north face jackets, nike roshe run, vans shoes, rolex watches, ugg boots, ugg boots clearance, north face outlet, canada goose, jimmy choo outlet, ghd, canada goose jackets, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, lululemon outlet, herve leger, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, p90x, babyliss pro, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, ugg boots, mont blanc, instyler, canada goose, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, ugg pas cher, beats by dre, mcm handbags, birkin bag, ugg australia, soccer shoes, canada goose uk, uggs, chi flat iron, ugg, bottega veneta, canada goose