Monday, September 27, 2010

I Suck At Hedgie The Hedgehog

Saturday was quite the hectic day. Normally during the weekend, Karen and I do not get many visitors within a given day. Saturday, however, was different.

The day began with a visit from my friend (Cass). Cass and his father-in-law stopped by to drop off a piece of drywall for a home improvement project that I was planning to work on. I had actually forgotten that I needed drywall for this particular closet that we have on our first floor. So, Cass and his father-in-law were nice enough to drop off some pieces for me.

Shortly thereafter, my BFF (Kerry) arrived. Awhile ago, I made plans with Kerry so that we could finally finish watching the rest of the Veronica Mars series. We began our Veronica Mars viewing in August of 2008 when Karen was invited to a girls weekend down in Bon Jovi's home state of New Jersey. We enjoyed the series so much that we got Karen interested in the show... and to some extent we got my favorite sister-in-law (Janine) interested in the show. Interestingly enough, I think Janine still has my second season of Veronica Mars.

Anyway, Kerry's schedule and my schedule got a little hectic. So we were never really able to watch the show on a consistent basis. Nevertheless, we were determined to finish watching the series this weekend.

Karen's grandparents and her aunt soon dropped on by as well since they were in the neighborhood. They had gone out to eat some breakfast at Friendly's, which is located right up the street from us. Once Karen's grandparents and aunt left, we started watching an episode of the Veronica Mars. We did not get too far as Karen's parents then stopped on by.

Karen's parents came over to watch our baby daughter (Briana) for a couple of hours. In addition to Veronica Mars, part of the day's planned activities included a brief trip to our local library. And what could be so important at the library? Why... library card sign up, of course!

Due to Karen's involvement with the Friends of the Norwell Public Library, in which she is now the vice chairman of, I was enlisted to help with the library card registration this weekend. In particular, I was asked to be Hedgie the Hedgehog. Now, I suck at Hedgie the Hedgehog. And truthfully, I never knew such a character existed in children's literature up until recently.

The task was easy: dress up as Hedgie the Hedgehog and pose for photos with children and adults alike. Piece of cake! For me, it was the first time I ever got to wear such an elaborate costume. Luckily for me, Kerry had experience dressing up as a character because she got to be her school's mascot one time year in college.

Needless to say, I had an absolute blast being Hedgie. As Karen put it, I was just the right height for the costume, I like kids, and I'm pure ham. And I must say, the costume was very elaborate. I'm not sure how other mascots do it because it gets mighty toasty inside the costume. I only wore the costume for a couple of hours and I had beads of sweat pouring down my face. In fact, Kerry said she could feel the heat emanating from the area where I can see out of the costume. The heat and the inability to see objects that are right close to you are probably the only drawbacks about being Hedgie.

All in all, I had a blast being Hedgie. Kerry even took a video of Hedgie doing a few dance moves for fun. I'm sure some day that video will make it to YouTube once the video is edited. (The video needs to be rotated.) Anyway, it was a lot of fun. I'd probably do it again if asked. Of course, I'd probably still need the help of Karen and Kerry to get into the costume. So we'll see.

UPDATE: Here is the video.


Plus, I think the kids and the adults had a great time during the library card registration event. I actually got to meet a few people I never knew before... like some of the other librarians, some of the board members, etc. So hopefully everyone was happy with the outcome of the day.

Following my brief stint as a costumed hedgehog, Karen, Kerry and I returned to finally watch a few more episodes of Veronica Mars. By that time, we had devoured some grilled cheese sandwiches... on potato bread... and some apple pie. We took another break shortly thereafter as we had our final guests for the evening: Janine and her family.

Janine, her husband (PJ), my niece (Kaleigh) and my nephew (PJ) stopped by to drop off a few items: a bag of Halloween costumes, an exersaucer, and a present from Kaleigh. As usual, it was good to see Janine and them.

I think Janine, who likes to collect Precious Moment figurines, got a kick out of seeing one of the figurines in a Precious Moment magazine that Karen's mother left that day. The Precious Moment figurine had the usual teardrop eye design. The base, however, had a name on it. That name: Gretchen. For anyone curious, Gretchen happens to be Janine's BFF.

Anyway, it was fun to see them. I got to practice my martial arts skills with my nephew who takes Taekwondo. For anyone curious, I don't have any martial arts skills... but my nephew doesn't know that. I think he believes I know it just because I'm genetically predisposed to know it.

Eventually, everyone left and it was just Karen, Kerry, Briana and me again. So naturally we decided to catch a few more episodes of Veronica Mars before calling it a day. It was definitely one long day after all with many visitors.

And of course, when everyone went to bed, I stayed up to watch a movie. That movie: The Final Destination, which is the fourth movie in the Final Destination series.

(The video below is a trailer for The Final Destination.)


In case anyone is curious, I started watching the Final Destination series because 1) I like horror movies; 2) the premise of the movie seemed intriguing; and 3) Kerr Smith, from Dawson's Creek fame was in the movie... "I don't want to wait..." till this movie franchise is over...

Needless to say, the fourth installment was absolutely terrible. The movie was made to be in 3-D (particularly the gruesome death scenes), and it shows. I am quite surprised the film warranted an upcoming Final Destination 5, because this movie was pretty bad. But at least now I can say that I watched the movie...

4 comments:

aimee said...

omg, that hedgehog video is awesome!

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, jordan shoes, nike free, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, air max, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, prada handbags, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

montre homme, air max, juicy couture outlet, moncler, iphone 6 cases, hollister, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, air max, moncler, vans, swarovski, moncler, parajumpers, timberland boots, rolex watches, oakley, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, lancel, wedding dresses, moncler, baseball bats, louis vuitton, toms shoes, converse, converse shoes, louboutin, canada goose, canada goose, supra shoes, hollister, ugg, karen millen, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, gucci, moncler, coach outlet store online, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ray ban