Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Suck At Celebrating My Son's Birthday

Sunday was my son's (Braden) birthday. Happy birthday Braden! Daddy still loves you! Unfortunately, I suck at celebrating my son's birthday. Had Braden survived from being born extremely premature, he would have been two years of age. Sadly, it just wasn't meant to be for Braden.

In a rather ironic twist, I started off my Sunday going to church. I say it's ironic because I am by no means religious. For all my rantings about the Catholic church, I'm surprised I wasn't struck by lightning when I entered.

Truth be told, the only reason why I even went to church was because Karen wanted the entire family to go in remembrance of Braden. Personally, I would have chosen to remember Braden in my own individual way, rather than listen to the useless rhetoric from the priest as he tells me how giving myself fully into God is the answer. I could give myself fully into God and that still wouldn't bring back my son. (To quote Michael from Lost, "I want my son".)

Needless to say, I attended the church mass for the betterment of Karen. And as much as I would have preferred to be alone that morning, it was nice that my favorite sister-in-law (Janine) and her family attended the mass as well as Karen's cousin (Karlene) and her husband (Tommy) who had spent the previous night at our place. Karlene and Tommy considered it an honor to go, which was nice to know.

Anyway, following the mass, Karen, our baby daughter (Briana) and I headed over to the cemetery to see Braden and wish him a happy birthday. Karlene and Tommy had joined us too as they had a little present for Braden. As well, meeting us at the cemetery were my parents and Karen's parents, each with a present for Braden.

As selfish as this sounds, on Sunday morning all I wanted was to just be alone with Braden. I think it's great that everyone wants to be there to support us and I really do appreciate it. I also understand that my relatives and in-laws need to grieve in there own way as well. At the same time, when it comes to Braden, I don't have the energy to stress over things like going to church or planning to meet everyone at the cemetery after church. I just want my own time with my son.

Truth be told, I actually held up pretty well at the cemetery. I did not break down and cry until after everyone had left. I think the tears definitely made me feel better.

Anyway, following the cemetery, Karen and I decided to take a little day trip in honor of Braden. It would be just her, Briana and me. In fact, we actually considered making it an annual tradition of sorts: a vacation in honor of our son. Karen is thinking about Disney, but we'll see how that pans out next year.

Because we did not have much planned this year for Braden's memory, we decided to take a little day trip to Plymouth. In particular, we went to visit Plymouth Rock and introduce Briana to her first beach. For anyone curious, Briana missed seeing Plymouth Rock because she was asleep during that portion of the trip.

For Karen and I, it was definitely relaxing. With the nice weather, we walked around Plymouth. We hung around one of the gardens. It was a perfect way to spend the day in honor of our son. I had not been to historic Plymouth for quite some time. I think the last time I was there may have been with my friend (Jen) and my BFF (Kerry), which was the start of the whole idea about how great it would be to spend a vacationing week together with just friends. Of course, since that time Karen and I have only spent a week with our friends once, but it was still a great idea.

Anyway, as a fitting way to end the evening, we decided to dine out at our favorite restaurant, Not Your Average Joe's located in Norwell. For anyone curious, I ordered the Cobb salad which was very delicious. Of course, the meal also marked the third meal of the day in which I had eggs. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast with Karlene and Tommy; I had egg salad for lunch, which was my comfort food for the day; and I had the Cobb salad that had eggs in it. All in all, my cholesterol must have skyrocketed on Sunday.

Regardless, Sunday turned out to be a great day. I had a good time spending it with just Karen and Briana. Thank you and happy birthday Braden!

4 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike free, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, chanel handbags, air max, coach outlet store online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, nike shoes, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, christian louboutin, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton

oakleyses said...

christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, air max, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, jordan shoes, nike free, prada outlet, coach outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet, air max, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, coach factory outlet, prada handbags, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

montre homme, air max, juicy couture outlet, moncler, iphone 6 cases, hollister, juicy couture outlet, swarovski crystal, air max, moncler, vans, swarovski, moncler, parajumpers, timberland boots, rolex watches, oakley, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, lancel, wedding dresses, moncler, baseball bats, louis vuitton, toms shoes, converse, converse shoes, louboutin, canada goose, canada goose, supra shoes, hollister, ugg, karen millen, ugg, thomas sabo, moncler, links of london, gucci, moncler, coach outlet store online, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ray ban

oakleyses said...

north face jackets, nike roshe run, vans shoes, rolex watches, ugg boots, ugg boots clearance, north face outlet, canada goose, jimmy choo outlet, ghd, canada goose jackets, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, lululemon outlet, herve leger, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, p90x, babyliss pro, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, ugg boots, mont blanc, instyler, canada goose, ferragamo shoes, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, ugg pas cher, beats by dre, mcm handbags, birkin bag, ugg australia, soccer shoes, canada goose uk, uggs, chi flat iron, ugg, bottega veneta, canada goose